"It's going to be alright." Basil X Reader

Requested by Yeayoudidntseemehere

With internet out across Faraway Town, and most of your friends busy, you decide that there's nothing better to do than go on a walk. You soon make your way to a familiar, plant covered home. Right by the front door is Polly, who quickly notices you.

"Oh, Y/N! How have you been, dear?" She asks, eyes lighting up.

"I've been...good. What about you and Basil?" You respond.

"I'm fine, thank you. Basil has been more...quiet...than normal, but I'm sure he's well. Say, speaking of which, it's been a while since you've come over. How about you stop by for dinner? I'm sure he'd appreciate seeing you again." You consider the idea.

"That sounds nice, I'd love to." Polly smiles at this.

"Come right in then!"

Inside of Basils house, the smell of potatoes, beef, cheese, and peas is overwhelming. 

"Shepherd's pie will be done in just a few moments. Make yourself comfortable until it's ready." Polly tells you. You stand in the living room, admiring the flowers in the corner. They're bigger than last time you saw them, and more colorful too. Someone must have been taking good care of them.

You're snapped out of your thoughts by the sound of Polly's voice. 

"Dinners ready!" She shouts. You sit down at the table with Polly, as Basil appears from the hallway. He pauses as soon as he sees you.

"O-oh, Y/N! Hello, what are you d-doing here?" Basil asks. Before you even open your mouth, Polly speaks up.

"They decided to stop by for dinner." She explains. "Now, sit down please, I'll bring the food." 

Around five minutes later, Basil wordlessly cleans his plate, and rushes off.

"That's...odd." Polly states. "Basil never was particularly social, but he's usually more talkative than this."  

"I can check up on him if you want." You offer.

"That would be nice, but please, finish your food first."

After eating some of the best shepherd's pie you've ever had, and washing your hands, you make your way to Basil's room. Quiet crying could be heard from within. You quietly knock on the door.

 "..Basil?" You call. After some ruckus from inside, Basil's opens the door. His face is pale, and his eyes are bloodshot. With a wavering voice, he speaks.

"O-oh...Y/N...I though you a-already left..."

"Basil, what's wrong?" You ask, concerned.

"It...It's nothing. You d-don't have to worry."

"It obviously not nothing. Can I come in?" He doesn't answer for a moment, before letting out a meek "Yes." 

You enter Basil's room. It's quite a mess, with blankets, pillows, and sheets of paper strewn everywhere. lazily thrown in between books about plants was a book labeled "Reality Shifting Journal". 

"Basil, I know something's up. You don't have to tell me if you don't want to, but I would really appreciate it if you let me know me what's wrong." You tell him. He looks at you, wipes tears from his eyes, and speaks.

"I...I just kinda feel like...I..." He pauses for a moment. "I'm...really not good at this...sorry."

"It's alright, take your time." You say, as gently as you possibly can. Basil sniffles.

"I..ok... I...just feel like e-everyone I care a-about is...just g-going to leave. I cared a-about mom and d-dad, and they barely involve t-themselves in my l-life...I cared about M-Mari, and she...d-died...I cared a-about Aubrey and she..b-barely treats me as h-human...I c-care about Sunny, and...now he's m-moving away, too! I, just...so many of my friends left, it feels like I can't keep anyone around!" He was sobbing at this point. You quickly reached over to hug him.

"It's alright. Just let it out." He kept crying, and returned the hug.

"It's not your fault that you feel this way. It's not abnormal, or strange. I completely understand. I just want to let you know that not everyone's going to leave. Kel isn't moving. I'm not moving. Hero plans to stay the entire summer. It's going to be alright." Basil nodded but didn't say anything.

"Anytime you feel this way, you can talk to me. I'll try to talk you through it, or help you in any way I can. Alright?" You ask. Basil nodded again. 

"T-thank you, Y/N. It...r-really means a lot to me." Basil said in between tears.

"It's what friends are for. Friends who aren't going to leave you, not ever."