Pretty Smiles: Kel x Reader

Kel rested his head on the car window, allowing himself to get lost in thought. The school dance seemed boring as all hell, but a bit of guilt-tripping from his mother got him to sign right up. Normally, on days like this, Kel would rather be playing with Hector or practicing his basketball skills, but he really just wanted to lie in bed.

Whatever. If his mom was happy, he was happy.

"We're here!" Kel's mother declared from the front seat. Kel looked up and smiled, his lips moving but his eyes remaining cold.

"Sweet. I can't wait." Kel spoke, guessing what his mother wanted him to say. She gave a content nod, before opening the door. Kel followed suit.

"Now, your father and I are going to be at the restaurant right across the street if you need us. You remembered to bring your phone, right?" His mother asked.

"Yes, mom. I'll be okay."

"Good! Tell Y/N I miss them."

I don't get told that.

"Will do. Love you, mom." Kel attempted to speak enthusiastically, but his voice just came out as strained. As Kel's parent's left, his father looked back at him and smiled. Kel smiled back, his lips moving but his eyes remaining cold.

...

Kel was assaulted with noise as soon as he entered the cafeteria. The windows were covered with thin sheets of black paper that barely blocked any light, and balloons aimlessly floated through the air. Kel scanned the attendees, looking for his friends: Sunny and Mari were onstage, preparing to play some song for the dance... Aubrey was sitting in the back, by the punch bowl... Mincy was somewhere hiding in the crowd...

Y/N was walking towards him, a goofy grin on their face.

"Hi, Kel! Took you long enough to show up!" They spoke, loud enough to be heard over the ambient chatter. Kel smiled; a real smile, not a forced one; and chuckled a bit.

"Sorry, heh... I spent too long changing..." He looked away sheepishly.

"It's fine, I'm just happy you're here!" Y/N giggled. Kel extended a hand.

"Shall we?"

"The music isn't going to start in another five minutes."

"Oh." Y/N laughed, prompting another genuine smile from Kel. He was useless in a lot of ways, but if there was one thing he was good at, it was making people laugh.

Even if I have to play the role of a fool to do it.

"Well, I'm gonna get some food. Wanna come with?" Y/N asked. Kel shook his head.

"I'll eat when I get home. You go on." Y/N nodded, and turned heel. Kel scanned the crowd once more, looking for someone to talk to, when he was suddenly hugged from behind. Kel whirled around, off put by the sudden touch, to see a short-haired girl he sort of recognized from Faraway Park.

"Uhm... Hello!" Kel greeted, trying to seem polite. The girl smiled.

"Hello, love~!"

This again?

"...I'm pretty sure we went over this. I'm taken."

"Aww... But we're meant to be! I dropped any feelings I had for that wig-wearing weirdo when I saw you!" She complained. Kel awkwardly smiled, his mouth moving but his eyes remaining cold.

"That's sweet and all, but again, I'm ta-"

"You have a pretty smile, Kel! I like your smile."

I don't.