Quality Time: Dream Basil x Reader

Requested by the Loquacious Cat.

...

You woke up to the faint sound of breathing. Looking down, you saw Basil curled up on your chest, asleep. Smiling slightly, you began to slowly stroke his hair as he let out a happy sigh and melted into your touch, despite not being awake. You were so lucky to have him... he was always so happy, so eager to help out anyone in need, and so amazingly adorable. You were  unimaginably thankful that he was yours. Basil let out a light groan and rolled onto his stomach, before opening his eyes.

"Hey there, sleepyhead..." You said softly. Basil smiled, before nuzzling back into you.

"Good... morning... I'm going back to sleep..."

"Hm? Don't you have to get up soon?"

"I don't... it's only..." Basil reluctantly sat up, and looked towards the clock.

"10:30... oh, g-god, I'm going t-to be late!" Basil practically lept from on top of you, grabbed some clothes from a dresser, and rushed into his house's bathroom, prompting a chuckle from you. He had agreed to meet up with Omori and the gang in the playground, but he still had around half an hour left. He was always anxious about being late to anything, though. You heard the sound of a door slamming, a cabinet opening, something hitting the floor, Basil letting out an "Ouch..." and finally, the bathroom door opening. Basil rushed over to you, before gently kissing you on the cheek.

"L-love you! Got to go! Bye!"

...

The playground was usually much louder than the rest of the Vast Forest, so you were suspicious when you didn't hear any sound coming from the entirety of the park. You entered into the clearing, seeing nobody but Mari, who was half-asleep at her picnic basket. Walking over to her, you gently poked her on the shoulder, prompting her to whirl around to face you.

"Oh! Hi, Y/N! You scared me a little, haha..." She said, laughing.

"Sorry, Mari. Where is everyone?"

"They're all playing Hide and Seek!"

"Where are they?" You inquired, not realizing the irony in what you just asked. Mari gave you an are you serious? look.

"...I don't think you understand how this game works. Anyway, you should probably look out for-" Mari was cut off by Kel, who grabbed your shoulder a little too roughly, prompting you to turn around. Kel was excitedly dancing in place, and Omori just looked disappointed

"Hah! Found you, Y/N!" Kel exclaimed. Omori let out a sigh.

"...Hi, Kel. I, uh, kinda wasn't playing."

"Oh... well then, Omori, let's look for someone else!" Omori nodded, and gave a small wave before following behind Kel. 

...

"These are sunflowers. They're called that because they always face towards the sun. That's how I want to be like... someone who always sees the bright side of things."

As you, Omori, Kel, Aubrey, and Hero walked with Basil, he kept telling you the names and meanings of every flower you saw.

"These flowers are called lily of the valley. It's said that they're able to ward of evil spirits and help people see a brighter future... I guess that's why they remind me of Mari! I can always count on her to help me stay positive!"

It was really cute, how he stopped stuttering when talking about plants... it was nice knowing how happy he was, too.

"Ah! These are called the gladiolus, also known as the 'sword flower'! As you might guess, they represent strength of character. Someone who is honest, with strong moral values... someone who stands by their convictions... the gladiolus reminds me of Aubrey, because she's always true to herself!"

He compared each and every plant to his friends, too... you wondered to yourself if he grew these flowers because they reminded him of his friends, or if he made the connection after planting them.

"These are roses! They remind me of Hero... roses come in many different colors and have their own unique meanings. Pink roses symbolize admiration... orange roses symbolize passion... yellow roses symbolize friendship... and the list goes on! Hero doesn't remind me of any rose in particular. I think Hero is like all roses, because he's versatile and universally loved!"

...What did you do to deserve him? If there is a god, he must really love you to give you him.

"This is a cactus! It reminds me of Kel because, well, he's a pr... erm, they're sturdy and resilient plants by nature. They don't need much care and can survive in seemingly impossible conditions! I guess what I'm saying is... even you could take care of a cactus, Kel!"

Eventually, the group made its way to Basil's house. The familiar giant shoe seemed to welcome you as you stepped inside, walking over the bridge and through the front door. As everyone looked over Basil's shoulder, flipping through the photo album, a photo came loose. Basil picked it up, before tilting his head.

"Hm? That's strange. A photo must have been loose."

"...Huh? What is this? Did I take this photo? Something about it seems... so familiar. "

"Wait a minute..."  

"Mari, she-"

Basil sighed, and shook his head.

"M-Mari must've stolen my camera again... I thought I told her she that she can just ask..." He turned the photo around to reveal a picture of Omori, staring off into the distance. 

"Well, it's a nice photo." You stated. "Maybe you should put it back in the album, even if it isn't yours?" Hero nodded in agreement.

"Y-yeah, I guess you're right..." Basil muttered, placing the picture back in his album.

"We should probably be on our way... we shouldn't leave Mari alone for too long!" Kel said.

"He's right, let's go!" Aubrey exclaimed, tugging on Omori's shoulder. 

"I think I'll stay, if it's ok with Basil." You said, looking towards Basil, who nodded and gave a small smile.

"Of c-course it is!"

"Alright then. Kel, Aubrey, let's go!" Hero said.

"Bye Basil! Bye Y/N!"

"See ya, you two!"

"Have a nice day, Basil and Y/N!"

"...Bye."

Basil put his album back on the shelf as the rest of the group left. He sat down on his bed, followed by you.

"I'm... really g-glad we have such nice friends..." He said, happily.

"I am too... but I'm happiest to have you."  You muttered. Basil visibly tensed up.

"Ah... I... Y-Y/N, erm..." You let out a laugh, prompting Basil to pout.

"S-stop laughing at me..."

"I'm sorry, Basil, it's just... you're just too cute." Basil began to resemble more of a tomato than the plant he was named after. You chuckled to yourself once more as Basil inched closed to you, laying his head in the crook of your neck.

"Oh? Do you want anything, Basil~?" You asked, trying to imitate one of Mari's expressions. Basil grumbled to himself.

"You.. c-can't just tease me and n-not cuddle me..."

"Why not?" You asked once again, trying to get a reaction from him.

"I t-think it's in the rules somewhere..." You shook your head and wrapped your arms around him.

"Good enough for me... c'mere."