A Cold Day in Hell

"Spaceboy? Hello?"

You trudged through the snow of Snowglobe Mountain. The pale-white scenery would be beautiful if you weren't so stressed: Spaceboy had run off to brood again. Last time, you remembered, he almost froze himself to death atop the icy mountain, and you were determined to find him before he got himself hurt.

It didn't make any sense: Usually, he'd mope when he spent time away from his partner. He was over Sweetheart, though, and you hadn't gone anywhere...

You'd have to ask him about that.

The occasional enemy stood in your way, but you were far stronger than the stray bunny you had to fight. The Snow Angels opted to watch you instead of getting in your way, their eyes judging and cold.

Speaking of...

It's so cold.

How did Spaceboy even survive up here? You couldn't see yourself spending an hour on the mountain, but here he was, spending the better half of a day of his own accord. Your clothes were wet from snow accumulating on them, sapping heat from you even more.

From the corner of your eye, you noticed a Snow Angel staring at you. Unlike most, it didn't have a sword, and it seemed more curious than judgmental.

"Can I help you...?" You asked. It stared at you.

SEARCHING FOR SOMEONE?

You flinched. You didn't hear the words, more... Felt them.

"...Yeah, actually... Uh, have you seen anyone around? Blue skin? Green hair?"

FOLLOW.

The Snow Angel turned and trudged in a seemingly random direction, throwing a glance back at you. You hesitated for a moment before following, speed walking a bit to catch up.

The Snow Angel would normally be slower than you, but it had no trouble moving through the thick layer of snow coating the ground. Your feet sank into the ground with every step, and you didn't want to think about how wet your socks were getting. A mist had rolled in, limiting your vision to about twenty paces in front of you. What little you could see revealed next to nothing besides snowy terrain and the occasional tree growing on the side of the mountain.

Eventually, you found yourself on the cusp of a cliff towards the top of the mountain. Three of the four sides ended in a far, steep drop, leaving one narrow strip of rock acting as a bridge between the cliff and the rest of the mountain. Captain Spaceboy sat under a tree, his feet dangling off the cliff. Next to him was a basket, and a few oddly-shaped lumps of snow. A pantheon of Snow Angels sat by the rock connecting the cliff with the mountain. The Snow Angels stepped out of the way as you approached, and the one that had guided you there quickly assimilated into the crowd.

"Spaceboy!" You called out, taking a hasty step forward. He looked up and turned to face you, his eyes wide.

"Y/N? Starlight, what are you doing here?" Captain Spaceboy asked, surprise crossing his face.

"Looking for you? I can't let you freeze yourself out here! C'mon, let's go back home." You hoped that he wouldn't put up a fight like last time.

"...I can't. There's no point in trying to."

"Please, Spaceboy, save the nihilism for when we're on the ship. We can-"

"Look at me." Spaceboy demanded, his voice colder than the snow you stood on. "I need you to do something for me. For the love of God, run. Get out of here."

"...I can't." You retorted. "I'm not leaving until you come back home,"

"Y/N, you don't understand."

"I understand that my boyfriend's going to die up here, and that's enough for me to-"