One Day Left: Sunny X Reader

Requested by BANJEXSWIFE

You could hear them before they even knocked. From outside of your front door, familiar voices were bickering.

"C'mon, Aubrey, at least drop by to say hi! For old times sake, y'know?"

"No. I'm not talking to them."

"Aubrey, I understand how hard it must be, but they at least deserve an apology."

"Fine! If you two really want me to."

"...You change heart quickly... " With that, there was a knock on your door. You open it to see Sunny, Kel, Aubrey, and Hero.

"Oh...hello!" You say, suprised. Aubrey had been harassing you for a while... and wasn't Hero in college? You stand in silence for a moment, untill a nudge from Sunny prompts Aubrey to speak.

"I...listen, I just wanted to say...I'm not proud of how I've been treating you. I'm sorry." She looks to Hero.

"Is that good enough?" She asks.

"I...uhm, thank you?" You say. You didn't expect her of all people to apologize. After Mari's death, you had tried to reconnect with the rest of the group, but nobody seemed to be in the right headspace for it. Sunny and Basil had locked themselves in their homes, Hero drowned himself in his studies, and Kel was already in with a new crowd. As hurt as you felt, you understood. 

Unlike Aubrey.

"...Apology accepted, I guess? Is that why you're here?" You ask.

"Oh, no." Hero says. "We figured that since Sunny's moving away..."

"Sunny is WHAT?" Sunny sighs.

"Yes, I'm...I'm moving away. Hero decided to get the old friend group back together, so everyone could say goodbye. Basil's with his grandmother, so the only other person left is you. Would you like to visit our old treehouse?" You pause. You haven't really spoke to any of them is so long...

"I...I'd love to."

The treehouse was a lot smaller than you remembered. There were toys strewn accross the floor, a pile of books in the corner, and a decrepit calender on the wall. Kel ran over to the playing cards, Aubrey rushed to her stuffed eggplant, and Hero walked over to his old cookbooks. Everyone seemed to be happy...except for Sunny. He had walked over to a photo and was reading something on the back, a discontent look on his face. You made your way over to him.

"Are you alright?" Sunny looks up at you and nods. After a moment of silence, Aubrey rushes out, followed by Kel and Hero. You and Sunny stand perplexed. Neither of you were paying attention to what they had been saying.

"Should we...go after them?" You ask. Sunny just shrugs and walks over to Basil's photo album, which was laying on the floor. You read over his shoulder as his flips through the pages.

(12/25 - CHRISTMAS): My first photo! It's my best friend, Sunny, trying out his new violin. He's starting to take lessons again so he can play at recitals with his sister, Mari. So exciting!

(2/18 - MY BIRTHDAY): It's my 12th birthday today! I thought my friends forgot, but they all surprised me with a strawberry cake. I feel so lucky... This year is looking to be a good year!

(2/18 MY BIRTHDAY): Another group photo. This was a little after I opened all my presents! MARI bought me this photo album, and everyone else bought me film for my camera. I'll try my best to use it all.

A soft smile makes its way to your lips. Basil had seemed so excited when writing. Sunny added the photo he was holding to the album.

"So...you're going away?"

"I am."

"Do you know where you're moving to?"

"No. My mom has been gone for a few days straight, though, so probably somewhere far away." Sunny stops flipping through the album, and closes it.

"I'm really going to miss all of you." He says. 

"I'm...I'm going to miss you too, and I'm sure the others will as well. It...isn't that bad, though. We can still stay in touch!" You say optimistically. Sunny gives a small smile.

"...I guess your right." You contemplate your next move. There's something you really want to do, but it would be very embarrassing.

Ah, screw it, you probably won't see him again anyway.

"...Sunny?" You say, more confidently than you feel.  "I...I'm about to do something very stupid." He tilts his head.

"Hm? What do you m-" He was cut off by you planting a kiss on his cheek and rushing out the door, almost falling out of the tree.

"THANK YOU, NICE TO SEE YOU, BYE SUNNY!" You shout quickly, making your way home. You throw a glance through the treehouse window to see Sunny, his face red and eyes wide as he attempts to process what just happened.