Chapter 4 - Run

katerina

I couldn't waste time. But i knew one thing: everyone at the party would notice if i left abruptly, so i had to do it discretely. 

From the corner of my eye, i spotted a young teenage girl, about my height and size hold a glass of champagne. Her dress was magnificent and completely different to mine. Also the girl looked entirely nervous like a fish out of water. Perfect.

Her dress was a black see-through material revealing the shiny gold underneath. It would look brilliant on me. As i glided through the large crowds in the ball room, my eyes glanced to the front of the room where the crowd for Niklaus had started, i spotted Elijah, but all i saw was the back of his head. Looks like he was too busy being mesmerised by his monstrous guest.

Numb. That was all i felt now, at the thought of Elijah. He played me like a harp. He must've planned this with that Mikaelson basterd!

But there was no time to feel resentment when it came to the safety of the most important thing in my life: Nikole.

I rushed my way to the girl with the half full champagne glass.

"Lovely dress" i smirked at her.

She looked up at me, instantly intimidated by natural presence of femininity.

"Thank you, miss" she said to me quietly. No time for games Katerina, i thought.

Placing my hand on her black gloved fingers, i told her, "I can see you must find this ball, rather...boring. Come with me, i have something more interesting to show you" adding extra zest to the word, "interesting".

She came with no struggle.

Pushing through a side door, quietly, we both ended up in Elijah's luxurious study. My eyes caught the site of a candle and the holder which it rested in. That would work.

The young girl put down her champagne glass next to the candle holder and explored the room. I went up to the candle and blew it out. The flame died with just..one blow.

"Wow! Wow! You were right, this place is-" before the innocent girl could finish her sentence, the candle holder in my hand had whacked her on the back of her careless head. I could feel bad about the act later. But then again, she was probably an upper class brat who's parents could get a hot-shot doctor to fix her in no time. 

In less than 2 minutes, i was wearing the unique black and gold dress, with the gloves to match. I moved the girl's unconscious body to the side, covering her with my now old dress. My heart began to beat faster, matching the 2/4 beat of the orchestra Elijah had ordered. 

Ok.

I had the dress.

Now i just had to find Nikole, conceal her in a cloak and glide out of the ballroom and out of Elijah's life. Simple.

Leaving the study, i watched all the people dance in the room like everything was fine. But my world was erupting with tension. My hormones were off the scale, i wanted to cry just looking at all of them. I would never be able to dance happily like that.

Making my way quickly up the marble stair case, i reached a pillar and turned to look out for Elijah. He was right at the far end corner of the ballroom...talking with Niklaus. Niklaus's hair was longer, but his eyes still piercing. It scared me to even stare at him in that moment. But one object glinted in the corner of my eye:

Niklaus's ring.

Elijah was wearing it too. But most importantly, so was that...maid. Oh gosh, my stomach murmured, this time the murmuring was of fear and doom.