Chapter 22 - Lose My Mind

katherine

Emily had found me the perfect dress. It was blue, but a light shade of blue that made me swoon. It was completely glorious. And i would need no corset. It had the perfect amount of cleavage and modesty. I really hoped Stefan would like it.

"It fits you perfectly" Emily told me as she made the final adjustments to the bottom of the dress.

I continued to stare in the large mirror in my room.

I twirled slowly like a little girl wearing her first ever dress.

Then i did something that i always did. I moved in right close to the mirror and i smirked. The smirk that hid away any of the emotional damage i felt from my past. It hid the past away itself. For a while.

For a night.

I got off the stool and turned to my handmaiden and probably best friend at that time. I looked at Emily with a large and true smile.

"Thank you, Emily, this dress is magnifique" i told her playfully in my best French accent.

Emily went and got my white gloves to match the dress and replied, "My, my, you're French is a little rusty, Kat!", how dare she?!?

"You little witch!" i exclaimed to her after she handed me my gloves, "Now, where are my shoes?" i said with an impatient tone. Shoes were the final feature of my look. They would complete it. Perfect it. And by the excited look on Emily Bennett's face, it seemed like she had gotten me the perfect pair. She bang this sleek white rectangle box to my stool. She gestured for me to open them. I did so and my eyes popped out of their sockets. These shoes. 

They were made of Bulgarian leather! 

They were a perfect brown color. Not too dark and not too light. These would go perfect with my dress. I think i would cry, but i did not want to look in distress for tonight. I had a lot to take care of for tonight.

"Oh Perfection!" i screamed with joy. Emily beamed with happiness. And i felt bad for a moment that she was not allowed to go to a ball. Just because of her color. I gently touched her cheek and thanked her for all she has done for me. I told her i would repay her. I promised. But she did not care, as long as she had a job and a safe place to practice her magic. 

The world was not as innocent as Emily Bennett. This worried me.

Emily looked at me with worry, "I think we need to do another spell. Something feels wrong. We can never be too safe from Klaus" her advice was more than accurate. But this night was too busy. I don't think i'd have the time.

I looked at her for a moment.

"Not tonight. But in the morning...sure" i told her. But the worry on her face remained. She nodded with acceptance of my choice. Emily moved the shoes just above my feet. I smiled at her. I felt like some sort of queen in that moment, even though Emily was not a subject, she was most definitely my friend. 

As she slipped on each shoe onto my foot, i felt ready to go out and dance the night away. 

I thanked her as she put the box for the shoes away and as i slipped on my white gloves. My hair was tied up around my face. I wanted to for a understated look for tonight. My sultry curls were best served for more...private affairs. 

Gerald knocked on my door and escorted me to our carriage.

We were heading to the Lockwood Mansion. It was perfect because this meant i would certainly meet the social George Lockwood. 

The plans i had in mind would be more.....hm let me think of a phrase: tonight would cause the wheels to be in motion. Finally.

As George drove us to the Lockwood Mansion, i thought about the secrets of this town.