Chapter 28 - Brave

nikole

I had finished lunch and remembered aunt Hayley said we could play hide and seek after i had finished eating.

I mean, it was my 9th birthday! How could she not? 

I giggled with the thought of an entire day just for me. 

Teehee. I got up from the balcony as the sun began to set. Where is auntie anyway? I rushed into the kitchen but before i entered the door i was frightened by aunt scaring me with her animal-like loud growl. It stunned me to the point where i nearly got blown backwards and....then she pulled out her large camera. Flash! My eyes basically blinded!

"Oh no auntie, you and your pranks!" i whined feigning i was upset with her.

She showed me the photo and i couldn't help but giggle with her at my shocked face. She was the best prankster.

"Aw, my lovely nine year old baby, come here!" she cuddled me and then showered me with...too many kisses.

I quickly pulled away and folded my arms. I gave her my best strict teacher expression. "Are we playing hide and seek or not?" i reminded her. She had a moment of surprise and then gave me her playful grin. She held out her left hand ,announced the numbers "1, 2, 3..." and i sprinted out the kitchen.

OK, Nikole, think smart. We had been playing hide and seek for forever. Right now, auntie had been winning at seeking on every round. I had to beat her!

Hmm, daddy said never to go into the cellar....

But i was nine. I had to be old enough to see what was there!

Plus, it was perfect new hiding space. I tiptoed down the stairs and could hear auntie clear as day as she counted around the 20s. She had to reach 100 before she could come for me. That was our permanent rule. Also, you had to count slowly otherwise it would be no fun of course.

I could feel the dust getting on my feet and i didn't care much but oh, daddy would make me take another bath today now..!

A long chain came in my view. This place definitely needed light. It was a like pitch black night in here. I clicked the chain and the room before me was unveiled.

Teehee. This is the biggest room i think i have ever seen! Yay!

I spotted a row of fridges. Was daddy hiding food from me? I love food!

I ran to one of the fridges but something shiny glinted in the far corner had caught my eye. I couldn't help myself. Shiny things ruled. Clutching the long shiny chain of the object, my eyes spotted the large green stone attached to the bottom. I touched the stone. 

Ooh, it was icy cold. Daddy had said it was over 80 degrees in New Orleans. I was already feeling...stuffy. How is it so very cold then?

I stared at the shiny jewel. I wanted to wear it. All my necklaces were so boring. 

As i slipped it on, the stone began to vibrate like a phone!

katherine

I stared at the fully grown girl in front of me. I didn't question her claim of being my daughter. Not because i trusted her but because the girl's eyes had a moment of undeniable surprise, which distracted both me and Elijah. I looked back and saw a green portal almost identical to the one we both saw in Klaus' dungeon. 

A little girl fell through the portal with big scared eyes. She looked awfully similar to the young woman who had just claimed to be my Nikole.

From the green portal, from my intense hearing i heard a "Ready or not here i come! Nikole! Where, oh where are you?" and it seemed we all heard it. Even the little girl, who broke from her stunned eye contact with us to look back at the green portal that still fluttered an inch above the girl.