flashback

Ty for this flashback request from HarrperandPepper. I hope you enjoy it! Emma is around one and a half in this story and it's set in Civil War. Enjoyyyy!

~~~

Wanda was sat on her bed, feeding Emma while she stared blankly at the news of Lagos being shown on Tv.

"Victory at the expense of the innocent. Is no victory at all." The Wakandan king says from the Tv, making Wanda take a sharp inhale of breath as tears well up in her eyes.

"What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have to operate in Nigeria?" A news reporter asks, making Emma turn her head towards the screen slightly at the mention of her Mom's name.

But before Wanda can turn it off for the sake of her daughter, it clicks off for her.

Out of the corner of her eye, she sees Steve leaning against the doorway.

"It's my fault." She tells him sombrely, not bothering to grab a blanket and hide her exposed chest. It was just Steve. And Steve was the most respectable man she knew.

"That's not true." Steve immediately counters.

"Turn the Tv back on." Wanda tells him. "They were being very specific."

"I should've clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it." Steve reasons, walking further into the room. "Rumlow said Bucky, and all of a sudden I was a sixteen year old kid again in Brooklyn." The super soldier sits next to the mother and daughter duo on the bed, gently running his hand along the back of Emma's head.

"And people died." Steve continues, looking at Wanda with a soft expression. "It's on me."

"It's on both of us." Wanda sighs, sliding her bra back over her breast as Emma pulls away, having realised Steve was there.

"Uncle Stebe!" Emma cheers, crashing into the super soldiers chest.

"Hey there little Maximoff." The blonde grins, ruffling the small amount of hair on the one year olds head.

"Shie?" Emma asks, looking around the room for Steve's shield.

Steve looks at Wanda, confused as to what Emma wanted.

"She wants your shield." Wanda translates, her expression not changing.

"Oh you want my shield!" Steve clarifies, making Emma nod. "Well how about after I've talked to your Mom, we can go and find it yeah?"

Emma nods happily, wriggling down from the bed and toddling over to her toys. Courtesy of Uncle Tony.

"This job..." Steve turns his attention back to the young mother. "We try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody. But if we can't find a way to live with that... Then next time, maybe nobody gets saved..."

Wanda listens intently, nodding in understanding. "I just... What if they lock me or Vis up? Who's gonna take care of Emma?" She quietens her voice slightly as she stares at her daughter who was happily playing with her toys.

"That's not gonna happen, Wands." Steve assures her, placing a hand on the brunette's back. "But if it does then we would take care of Emma. You know we would."

Before Wanda can reply, Vision phases through the wall, startling her.

"Vis!" She exclaims. "We've talked about this!"

Steve looks at the android with a stern glare, not happy that this was a reoccurring thing. He wasn't even happy with the whole dating thing, let alone the fact that they have been... doing it.

"Yes, but the door was open darling, so I assumed..." Vision trails off, realising his mistake.

"Daddy!" Emma cheers, noticing her fathers presence.

"Hello, my princess." Vision smiles, lifting his daughter up from the floor with ease, making her giggle.

"I go way wif Uncle Stebe's shie aft dis." Emma rambles to her Dad, which to Steve's surprise, he immediately understood.

"Your going to play with Captain Rogers shield?" He confirms, making Emma giggle and nod. "What a lucky girl!"

"I swear only parents can understand their kids language." Steve chuckles. "How did you just understand a word she said?"

"She was speaking very clearly in my opinion." Vision defends his daughter, as Emma's hands start to pull on his shirt collar.

"Was there something you wanted to tell us?" Steve asks, not remember why Vision just walked in here.

"Oh, yes. Captain Rogers you wished to know when Mr Stark was arriving." Vision tells Steve, who nods.

"Thank you, we'll be right down." Steve tells the android, who hands Emma back to her Mother.

"I'll use the door." Vision points towards it with a small smile. "Oh, and apparently, he's brought a guest."

The silence is cut off by Emma's squeals, as Wanda bounces her up and down on her lap.

"Do we know who it is?" Steve asks the synthezoid, looking fondly at Emma.

"The Secretary of State." Vision grimaces, shooting a sorry look at his girlfriend, before walking out of the bedroom.

"You go." Wanda tells Steve, standing up from the bed. "Tell them I'll be there in a minute, I just need to put Emma down for her nap."

Steve nods, standing up from the bed and waving goodbye to Emma, before closing the door behind him to give the Mother and Daughter privacy.

"You ready to go sleepies, baby?" Wanda coos in her baby voice, laying Emma on the floor so she could change her.

Emma makes a humming noise in response, looking at different parts of the ceiling, while Wanda quickly changes her.

"All done!" Wanda cheers happily, letting Emma roll onto her stomach and sit up herself.

"Paci?" Emma makes grabby hands at her Mom.

Wanda reaches onto her bedside table and picks up a discarded pacifier, handing it to her daughter and pecking her on the cheek.

She quickly whisks Emma up off the floor and puts her in the crib, which was in the corner of her room. Emma obviously had her own room right next to Wanda's and Vision's, but she was in a rush, and this was quicker.

"Mama's got to go to a meeting. She will be back soon." Wanda promises her, as Emma rolls about in the crib, grunting softly.

"Mama don lee mee, Mama say." She gurgles through her pacifier.

"I'm sorry baby, Mama's got to go. I'll be back before you wake up." Wanda reasons, and to her relief Emma's settles down in her crib, rubbing her eyes.

"Mama loves you." Wanda gives her daughter one last smile, before turning on the baby monitor, and turning off the light.

I hope everyone liked that chapter! I'm sorry for the lack of updates but I've had major writers block for this book, but I hope to get a new chapter out soon!