Chapter 1

“Hyunji! The Jeons are here!" 

Two seconds pass, two heart beats, and the quick stomping of feet against the wooden stairs make it to her ears. Silence falls for another moment, and Hyunji shuts her book closed, eyeing the door from her bed.

Any second now

Her breath is held, and within the next heartbeat the door to her room swings open. 

“Hey Ji, guess who’s here?” 

°•°•°

“Mom, we’re done, is it alright if we go upstairs now?” Hyunji turns to her mother from across the dinner table where she was chatting with Mrs.Jeon about the new grocery store opening up in town. But her mom momentarily stopped and nodded, giving them both the green light to go up to Hyunji’s room, far away from the parents and their excruciatingly boring conversations. 

Both Jungkook and her pick up their plates and place them in the sink in the kitchen, then make their way up the stairs in silence. Once her bedroom door is pushed open, he’s already throwing himself onto her mattress, sighing. 

“Go ahead, make yourself at home,” Hyunji mutters, taking the seat by her desk since he clearly didn’t care enough to leave some room for her on her own bed. 

Jungkook grunts and sits up on his elbows. 

“You say that as if I’m not here every weekend.”

“You’re not obligated to come, you know.” 

“Yeah but why spend a beautiful Sunday evening doing nothing, when I can come here to annoy you and have some of Mrs.Jung’s food?”

Hyunji squints at him, annoyed. 

“You think you’re funny, don’t you?” 

“Quite hilarious, actually” he shoots back, and she’s left rolling her eyes and twisting her chair to stare at her desk and ignore him. 

Maybe she could get some homework done. 

“Are you going to the carnival next weekend?” 

Or not. 

Hyunji shakes her head. 

“My parents didn’t let me.” 

And suddenly he’s interested to know more.

“Why not? Everyone’s going.”

She almost laughs at his stupid question, as if he didn’t know her parents enough. 

“I’d like to remind you that I’m a ‘girl’” she makes air quotes with her back still turned to him, “I’m not allowed out that late without one of my parents around.” 

“Yeah,” Jungkook drags the word, tilting his head, “But you’re also eighteen, and probably going with friends.” 

This time Hyunji twists her chair back to him. 

“I don’t think you get it.” she adds, “I can be kidnapped, raped, makeout with a few hot dudes, maybe even run away, cause afterall, I am a girl.”

Jungkook blinks at her, pursing his lips. 

“Would it help if I tell them you’ll be with me?”

She shakes her head and sighs. 

“That doesn’t change anything,” she grumbles, and points at her half open door. “They don’t even trust me enough to keep my door fully shut with you, and you know that.”