Chapter 8

“I’m scared.” 

Hyunji doesn’t even realise that the words are flying out of her mouth and into the open air before she can catch them and lock them away somewhere. But even if she had, the look in her eyes and nervous breathing would probably give it away anyway. 

“I am too.” Jungkook swallows, admitting it for the first time. 

He knew it probably wouldn’t help with Hyunji’s situation, admitting that he was anxious as well, but he had to let it out at some point. 

Because he was fucking terrified. 

There was no denying that everything was about to fall apart and their parents were about to lose their minds at the slightly irresponsible choice that they were making. 

But there was no going back now. 

They had made their choice, which just seemed like the easiest part of the whole plan. 

Now the shit was about to get real. 

“We can’t stand out here forever.” he finally sighs, glancing down at Hyunji who stood right next to him, the both of them waiting right in front of her porch, as if the ground would swallow them whole if they dared to take another step. 

“Do we have to tell them?” Hyunji gulps, her slightly frantic eyes looking up at him. 

Jungkook purses his lips before pushing out a puff of air through his lips. 

“It would be the responsible thing to do.” 

Who was he kidding? They were getting married to have sex. Nothing about it was being responsible. 

“You’re right,” She sighs, her eyes fluttering shut this time, trying to calm her nerves. “Let’s just get this over with.” 

Jungkook says nothing as she takes the first step towards the front door, following as she punches in the code to unlock the door. She flashes him a quick glance before finally turning the handle and letting the door creak open. 

He steps inside right after her, hearing the distant laughter of their parents from what he assumed was the dining room where they had started eating without them. They take their shoes off, their hearts ringing in their ears as they walk towards the voices echoing through the house. 

“I thought I heard the door open!” Hyunji isn’t too surprised when she’s suddenly engulfed into a tight hug as soon as they’re by the kitchen, her breath caught in her throat as she hugs the elder woman back with a small smile. 

“Oh look at you darling, you look stunning!” 

Blood rushes to her cheeks from Mrs.Jeon’s compliment, her smile growing wider as the anxiety within her is almost forgotten. 

“Thank you Mrs.Jeon,” Hyunji says as his new mother-in-law holds her at arm's length, admiring her outfit. She catches the slight frown along her mothers lips as she also stares at her dress from where she stood by the stove. 

“It makes her hips look too wide.” 

She feels her stomach drop. 

“Oh come on, Soyoung, look at how beautiful she is.” Mrs.Jeon responds, looking at her friend from over her shoulder before turning back to Hyunji. “Don’t listen to her, honey. I would do anything to look this young and beautiful again.” 

Hyunji thanks her one more time before Mrs.Jeon finally notices her son standing a few feet away. 

“The both of you are all dressed up today, huh.” she jokes before giving her son a quick hug and peck on his cheek.