Chapter 3

The front door creaks open, and Hyunji’s school bag slumps onto the floor. 

Silence. 

How beautiful. 

If there was one thing that Hyunji absolutely loved, it was when her home was absolutely empty and silent, leaving her free to do whatever she pleased till her parents had come home. 

And according to the absence of the two cars that normally occupied her driveway, they were yet to come home. And that itself, felt like a breath of fresh air after another long day of school, and choices she didn’t know she would be making. 

Slipping off her sneakers, Hyunji picks up her bag again and begins her path towards her bedroom on the second floor. 

“Hyunji?” 

Her footsteps immediately come to a halt. 

“Mom,” Hyunji turns towards her mother’s office which she had just walked by and forces a smile, “I didn’t know you were home.” 

Her mother who was sitting in her office chair stands with a stack of papers in her hands, stepping towards her daughter. 

“Ah yes, well, your father’s car had to go to the mechanic so he took mine instead.” 

“Oh,” 

“How was school, honey?” 

Hyunji’s eyes fall to the ground and she slightly nods, trying to push down the memories of decisions being made and a set of doe eyes that had held her gaze in front of her locker. 

“The usual.” 

“Well, before you get too comfortable, I saw the shopping bags in your room. You never showed me what you bought when you went out with Sumni. Why don’t you try them on?” 

“Sure. I’ll just go upstairs and get changed then.” 

Her mother smiles in return and lets her go. 

°•°•°

“You’ll have to return this.” 

Hyunji’s weight shifts from one foot to the other, her brows slightly furrowing as her mother sits across from her in the living room, analysing the long green dress that she wore. 

“Why? It’s not too revealing, and it fits perfectly. Sumni said that-” 

“Sumni was clearly not being honest with you.” her mother wore a frown edged at her lips. “Turn around for me again.” 

Hyunji, feeling irritated, did as she was told. 

“No, this definitely won’t do. Your back acne looks disgusting.” 

Hearing this, Hyunji looks at her mother from over her shoulder, her lips slightly parting open. 

“What?” 

“Do you not take care of yourself? Look at all that acne, Hyunji. You’re eighteen, get a hold of yourself.” 

Hyunji is left speechless, finally turning back around to face her mother who looked annoyed. 

“And I’ve noticed that you’ve started to gain weight again, so you should start being careful or else-” 

“Or else what?” Hyunji finally lets out, glaring at her mother. “You’ll have no choice but to show off your smart but fat daughter? Oh yes, but of course that’s just embarrassing, isn’t it? You’d just prefer tormenting me so that I look good next to you.” 

Her mother’s frown deepens and brows narrow. 

“Jung Hyunji, don’t you dare speak to me like that,” she says firmly as her daughter continues to glare. “I’m looking out for you, or how else will you find a husband-” 

Hyunji almost laughs out loud at that point, but lets her grin escape. 

“Oh trust me, I’ll find one.” 

“Not at this rate-” 

Hyunji grabs her phone that sat on the coffee table and begins to turn away. 

“I’m going up to my room. And the dress stays.” 

°•°•°•°

Just a quick short chapter :) I hope everyone is doing alright ❤