Chapter 4 - Aggression

Wei WuXian's first thought was that something went wrong with the flag formation that the boys set up.

His inventions needed to be used extremely carefully, or else disasters could happen. This was also why he went to check if there was anything wrong with the motifs that were drawn. 

The Lan disciples from that night looked at each other, then up at Wei Wuxian in adoration.

Another cultivator who still harboured a grudge against Wei Wuxian gave a snort, an infuriatingly righteous and superior look on his face, "Don't get too close to that demon, you foolish children. You'll see soon enough what he does-"

Wei Wuxian twisted his head around, "Yeah, and what did I do to you?"

The cultivator gave an exclamation of rage. "You-you broke my leg! How dare you, you think you can play stupid? Don't tell me you've forgotten me! I was there that night at Nightless city-"

"Hmm? Yeah, I've definitely forgotten you then. " Wei Wuxian talked over the cultivator's splutters. "However. You better hope I don't break your other leg, because if you keep talking to my kids like that, I certainly will."

The cultivator quailed under his for once, dead serious glare, and wisely shut his mouth.

As a few pairs of big hands came to drag him outside, Wei WuXian straightened his body and allowed them to do so without difficulty, so that he wouldn't have to walk by himself. 

"Uhh.. they just said they wanted to beat you to death and make you pay for it with your life?? And you're not trying to run??"

JingYi said incredulously. Lan Zhan agreed for once with his most unruly disciple.

"Ahh, well I was going to go over by myself anyway to see what was going on, but of course if they're willing to carry me there, I'm not going to complain." We Wuxian gave a roguish grin. "Besides, you can't actually think I was worried those dimwitted blockheads could actually do something to me?"

"Shameless! Such arrogance." muttered Sect Leader Yao.

"Hey! It's true, no one can beat up Senior Wei!" Jingyi retorted. The juniors all chorused in agreement.

Jiang Cheng rolled his eyes. The memory of Wei Wuxian kneeling on the floor of Lotus Pier as Madam Yu struck him with Zidian as punishment flashed through his eyes. He quickly blinked the memory away before his thoughts could progress much further than that. 

A human-shaped object lay on the ground, with its body covered by a white cloth and only the head being revealed. Lan SiZhui and the other boys wore heavy expressions, bending down to check the situation and talking in soft voices.

Jingyi looked at his vividly realistic 'painting' (could it be called a painting? the pictures on the board seemed too lifelike to be called a painting) and self-consciously squinted at his side profile. 

"Huh... do I really look like that from the side?" Jingyi suddenly remembered the Lan principles 'Do not dwell on appearances'  and 'Do not be self-centred '. With a meek look behind him at Hanguang Jun, he snapped his mouth shut.

 "... Less than three minutes have passed since the body was discovered?" 

"After subduing the walking corpse, we hurried from the West Courtyard to the East Courtyard, and found the corpse by the hallway." 

The human-shaped thing was, apparently, Mo ZiYuan. Although the features were clearly that of his petty cousin's, the cheekbones were deeply sunken, eyes bulging, and skin wrinkled. Compared to the youthful Mo ZiYuan before this, it was as if he aged twenty years. It also seemed like his blood and flesh were sucked out of him, turning him into a skeleton with only a thin layer of skin on the outside. If, before this, Mo ZiYuan was just ugly, now, his corpse was both old and ugly.