Chapter 6 - Arrogance

Only a few days passed, and Wei WuXian realized that he might have made a wrong choice. The donkey that he conveniently picked up was too hard to please. Although it was only a donkey, it would exclusively eat fresh, young grass with dewdrops still hanging off them. If it didn't eat high quality food, it wouldn't budge, and it'd lose its temper and kick around. For multiple times, Wei WuXian was almost kicked by it. It was useless, no matter as a mount or a pet!

Watching the Yiling Patriarch moan and sulk around as he was abused by a donkey, most of the audience could only stare in disbelief bordering on amusement. The ones who knew of Wei Wuxian's donkey, Lil Apple (i.e the Lan members and Jin Ling) laughed the hardest.

"You defend that horrible thing all the time and you call it sweet and misunderstood, but here you are being kicked by it!! At least you know it's useless, haha!" Jin Ling laughed in Wei Wuxian's face.

Wei Wuxian indignantly turned and pointed at Jin Ling. "What did you call my Lil Apple? So what if we had a bit of a rocky start when we first met? And you, Jiang Cheng, are you ever going to teach your kid some manners?"

Jin Ling and Jiang Cheng both went purple,

"Why don't you try reaching that brat, Wei Wuxian, since he seems to like you more than his actual uncle!"

"That's because I'm his uncle too, right Jin Ling?"

Jin Ling still looked too embarrassed to speak, and Jiang Cheng opened his mouth to retort back. Then he closed his mouth as he realised... even if Wei Wuxian wasn't biologically Jin Ling's uncle, his current body, Mo Xuanyu, definitely was. He closed his eyes momentarily to calm himself down, luckily missing Wei Wuxian's triumphant smirk.

Wei WuXian couldn't help but to think of his sword. The sword was probably collected by the leader of a prominent clan and would have hanged on a wall as a trophy that they could show other people.

"He really has a big ego, that Wei Wuxian!"

"Well... wasn't his sword in that Jin Guangyao's treasure vault?"

"Was it?? Then where do you think it is now?"

Both cultivators squinted at Wei Wuxian who refrained from sticking his tongue out at them.

"Why do you think he doesn't use his sword, if he knows how useful it is?"

"He's not even wearing it right now..."

Another cultivator turned around and said, rolling his eyes, "Obviously, it's because he thinks he's so powerful with his demonic cultivation that he doesn't need a sword. My father told me that's what he said back then, too."

They all gave incredulously mocking laughs.

Wei Wuxian, feigning temporary deafness, watched his drawing self pushing and pulling his donkey across farmland and eventually to an old well beside a large pagoda tree.

A group of people approached from within the fields. The people seemed to be rural villagers. In the group, there was a young girl with a round face that could be considered delicate. They also wanted to come over to rest by the shade and have some water, however, seeing that there was a wild donkey tied to the tree and a lunatic with heavy makeup and dishevelled hair, they were reluctant to go over. Wei WuXian had always thought of himself as one who was courteous towards women, so he moved over, emptying some space, and went to struggle with the donkey.

"Oh, that's right, wasn't Wei Wuxian known for flirting endlessly with women?" someone whispered. Unfortunately, Wei Wuxian, Lan Zhan and most notable cultivators had exceedingly good hearing and could hear every whisper of gossip.