Chapter 13 - Refinement

At a later time, Wei WuXian pondered upon the reason why his relationship with Lan WangJi wasn't good. Getting to the root of the matter, everything started when he was fifteen, coming to the GusuLan Sect with Jiang Cheng to study for three months. 

Something strange was happening on the board. Pictures were zipping past the board too fast for anyone to look at them properly - as if it was going backwards. From the blur of colour, a familiar scene blossomed - The Cloud Recesses. But there was small writing on the side, reading "The 18th year of the reign of Xuanzheng"

"T-The 18th year??"

"But it's the 34th year right now, could that mean...?"

The Lan disciples stared at the scenery. Yes, this version of the Cloud Recesses was very similar to the present day, with the beautiful green mountains, cascading waterfalls, white pebble paths - except, there were lots of differences here and there. Just small ones that only the ones living in the Cloud Recesses would notice. 

Then the narration continued - it was still Wei Wuxian's voice.

There was a virtuous and prestigious elder in the GusuLan Sect—Lan QiRen. Everyone in the cultivation world accepted three characteristics which described him: pedantic, stubborn, and a strict teacher who produced outstanding students. Although the first two points kept a lot of people at a respective distance to him, some even to the point of secret dislike, the last one made them try everything they could to send their children to study under him.

Many cultivators put their hands to their mouths, feigning surprise but secretly shaking with laughter. Someone had finally said it out loud! However, they weren't entirely sure where Wei WuXian was going with this random narration. 

Lan Qiren kept his face impassive. He knew precisely what people thought of him, and it didn't bother him. It was more Wei Wuxian's audacity to praise his ability to 'produce outstanding students', when he knew fully well he was about to mess that all up that irked him.

 He had brought up quite a number of excellent disciples of the Lan Sect. As long as they stayed a few years in his classroom, no matter how pathetically useless they were when they first entered, they would at least seem to be decent when they depart, especially in terms of appearance and etiquette. There were plenty of parents who were so excited that tears flowed down their cheeks when they picked up their sons.

Some cultivator parents looked at their children thoughtfully, including Sect Leader Ouyang. 

Zizhen guessed what his father was thinking immediately. "Nooo, don't send me there, I - I can't get up at 5 and sleep at 9 - I -"

His father said, "Exactly why I should  send you there!"

Zizhen straightened himself up, ready for a full argument with his father, then realised he shouldn't insult his friends' home in front of them. He slunk back down sulkily.

But suddenly, two figures appeared on the screen, running through the Cloud Recesses There was someone in  black and red robes and another in the purple clothes of the Jiang sect. Cheerful, bright music suddenly chirped through the theatre.

Finally, the figures came to a stop on a bridge.

"Let's take a break!" The figure in black and red said, his back still turned to the camera, but the voice was unfamiliar. A new character, it would seem. 

But the face of the second figure, the one in the purple clothes, suddenly came into view. There were gasps of shock. Was that- a 16 year-younger Sect Leader Jiang??

His hair was in a moderate bun, trailing with long purple ribbons, and considerably shorter and more fresh-looking than he was now. However, there was no mistaking that trademark scowl on his face. But even the scowl didn't seem as harsh as it was now - it was lighter, more amused. It definitely made him look years younger.