Chapter 8 - Arrogance

However, after stroking it for a while, Jiang Cheng compelled himself to restrain his hostility. Although he was displeased, as the leader of a sect, he needed to take more things into consideration, which meant that he couldn't be as impulsive as Jin Ling.

Wei Wuxian's mouth fell open. "When did you learn to restrain yourself? Being a sect leader has really matured you up, huh?"

"Just because Zidian isn't working right now doesn't mean I can't teach you a lesson when we get back!" Jiang Cheng snapped.

 After the fall of the QingheNie Sect, among the Three Great Sects, the LanlingJin Sect and the GusuLan Sect were quite close due to the personal relationship between the two leaders. By leading the YunmengJiang Sect alone, he was already in an isolated situation among the three. 

Jiang Cheng was starting to feel uncomfortable...how and why was this weird board revealing all his innermost thoughts and feelings? Suddenly he was glad the moving pictures seemed to be much more focused on his shixiong rather than him... listening his own voice narrating his dark thoughts for just these few minutes was cringe-worthy enough.

HanGuang-Jun, or Lan WangJi, was quite a prestigious cultivator, while his elder brother ZeWu-Jun, or Lan XiChen, was the leader of the GusuLan Sect. The two brothers had always been on good terms with each other. It was best to not openly dispute with Lan WangJi. Also, Jiang Cheng's sword, "Sandu ," had never made actual contact with Lan WangJi's sword, "Bichen," and it was not yet decidable whose hands would the deer die on. 

Wei WuXian began laughing outright. "Oh, no you would definitely lose, Jiang Cheng... Lan Zhan is a hundred times better than you-"

Lan Zhan covered Wei Wuxian's mouth, smothering his next words before Jiang Cheng lost it and threw his sword at him.

Although he owned the powerful ring, "Zidian ," a family heirloom of his, Lan WangJi's zither, " Wangji ", was also known for its abilities. The thing that Jiang Cheng hated the most was to be disadvantageous during a fight. Without complete confidence in his success, he would not consider fighting with Lan WangJi. Jiang Cheng slowly took away his left hand, ceasing to stroke his ring. Jiang Cheng made the decision to, for the time being, owe him a favour, and turned around to see Jin Ling still covering his mouth angrily, "HanGuang-Jun wants to punish you, so just let him do it for this one time. It's not easy for him, either, to discipline juniors from other clans." His tone was sarcastic, but it wasn't clear who he was mocking. Lan WangJi never fought to win his way with words, and looked as if he didn't hear anything. 

This rare insight into Jiang Cheng's thought process was truly illuminating. While he sat, smouldering with rage and embarrassment, everyone whispered among themselves about his stone-cold reasoning and demeanour. Was he always like this??

Jiang Cheng turned again, his words covered with thorns, "Why are you still standing there? Waiting for the prey to come and throw itself onto your sword? If, today, you don't catch the creature hunting Dafan Mountain, don't come to me ever again!" Jin Ling threw Wei WuXian a tough look, but was too scared to look at Lan WangJi, the person who had silenced him. 

People began to feel sympathy for Jin Ling, having such a harsh uncle. Wei WuXian sympathised (or more accurately, empathised) with Jin Ling being scared of Lan Zhan and his merciless silencing charms. 

Lan SiZhui spoke, "Sect Leader Jiang, the GusuLan Sect will return the exact number of spirit-binding nets that had been destroyed."

 Jiang Cheng sneered, "No need." He chose the opposite direction and walked down calmly.  After their figures disappeared, Lan JingYi spoke, "How could the Sect Leader Jiang act like this?" Only afterward, did he remember the Lan Clan's rule of not talking behind others' backs. He looked meekly at HanGuang-Jun and shut his mouth. Lan SiZhui smiled softly toward Wei WuXian, "Young Master Mo, we meet again."