Chapter 11 - Refinement

At dawn, the first rays of the morning sun shone through the hazy billows of mist that drifted far and wide, perfectly complementing its name—the " Cloud Recesses."

There was a sudden scene change from the previous pictures of Dafan Mountain, but the audience was quick to quiet down by themselves, awed into silence and reverence by the beautiful landscape pictures and gentle music playing. So, this was the famed "Cloud Recesses"! 

However, the ambience was suddenly shattered by a long wail, giving a few shudders down the backs of the disciples who were training or doing their morning readings . They couldn't help but to glance at the direction of the main entrance, where the sound came from. Wei WuXian was crying in front of the entrance, clinging onto his donkey.

Sizhui's mouth twitched. It was all very funny in hindsight, seeing Senior Wei make a fool of himself, although he remembered being panicked and terrified at the time, not knowing what to do. Wei Wuxian was certainly the grandmaster of shamelessly dramatic entrances. 

Lan JingYi spoke, "Stop crying! You said that you liked HanGuang-Jun yourself, so what are you wailing for, now that he has taken you back?" Wei WuXian pulled a long face. He never had the chance to summon Wen Ning again, after the night at Dafan Mountain. Neither did he have any opportunities to find out why Wen Ning was unconscious or why he had appeared in this world again, before he was carried back by Lan WangJi. 

It was strange that Wei Wuxian was able to childishly wail with those impressively realistic fake tears while his thoughts were turned towards dark subjects. Perhaps Wei Wuxian had missed his true calling as a stage performer. 

When he was in his early youth, he had came to study at the Lan Sect for three months, along with the disciples of other clans, so he had experienced the GusuLan Sect's dull, boring atmosphere in person. In fact, he still shuddered at the thought of the three-thousand-or-so sect rules which crammed onto the Wall of Discipline. As he was tugged up the mountain, he passed by the rock wall again, and saw that a thousand more were carved on. Now, there were more than four thousand. Four thousand! 

Now, there was outright laughter. Wei Wuxian seemed to be genuinely wailing now, about those 4000 rules.

Lan JingYi spoke, "There, there! Stop making a ruckus. Noise is prohibited in the Cloud Recesses." 

He was making loud noises exactly because he didn't want to enter the Cloud Recesses! 

Wei Wuxian's logic made even more people laugh. The voiceover for Wei Wuxian's thoughts conveyed quite realistically the tone of his thoughts - you could practically hear the eye-roll in his response to Jingyi. 

If he was dragged inside, it would be extremely difficult for him to come outside again.Back then, when he came to study, all of the disciples were given a jade token for passage. Only with the token, would a person be able to enter and leave freely, or else they couldn't pass through the protective barrier of the Cloud Recesses. After ten years had passed, the security could only have gotten stricter, instead of looser.

Lan Qiren ground his teeth as the secrets of the Cloud Recesses were slowly leaked to the public. Damn Wei Wuxian and his compulsive need to explain everything in his head! 

 Lan WangJi stood still in front of the entrance, turning a deaf ear to him, and watched the scene with an indifferent look. When Wei WuXian's voice had somewhat quieted, he spoke, "Let him cry. When he becomes tired, drag him inside." Wei WuXian hugged the donkey and cried even harder, bumping his head against it. 

"Ah Lan Zhan, you were so mean to me." Wei Wuxian wiped a fake tear from his eye. 

Jin Ling snorted. "Okay, that wailing noise is really getting annoying, will you shut up soon??"