Chapter 24 - Malice

Jiang Cheng added, "Lend me your dog." Jin Ling pulled himself out of the daze. He hesitated for a moment and only whistled after Jiang Cheng shot him two lightning-sharp beams from his eyes. 

It was clear that Jin Ling didn't want to send Wei Wuxian off to his doom, particularly not after just having been saved by him, but Jiang Cheng's expression truly was terrifying. 

"I wonder if using Zidian so much has fused his personality with it. Look, his eyes are practically crackling with purple electricity." a cultivator speculated.

"He was born with that personality, actually." Wei Wuxian muttered. "He inherited it from Madam Yu."

"Madam Yu?" asked Sizhui. "Is that...oh." Sect Leader Jiang's eyes were shooting sparks again so he wisely shut his mouth.

The dog dashed over in just a few leaps. Wei WuXian, body as stiff as an iron board, could only be dragged forward, walking one step at a time. Jiang Cheng found an empty room and threw Wei WuXian inside, closing the door behind him. The dog followed them inside and sat by the door. Wei WuXian had his eyes tightly locked on it, afraid that it would pounce on him at the next possible moment. Remembering how he had been controlled in just a short amount of time, he exclaimed in his heart that Jiang Cheng really knew the best way to deal with him. 

Wei Wuxian gave a muffled wail. "And now everyone knows the best way to deal with me... Lan Zhan, Lan Zhan, what will I do if after this everyone comes at me with a dog???"

Lan Wangji stroked his husband's hair tenderly. He said in a low and dark voice, "Do not worry. I will fight all of them for you and lock them away forever." 

Wei Wuxian's fluttering heart-rate slowed and he resolved not to ever be separated from Lan Wangj's side. In all honesty, he had already resolved to do that long ago.

Meanwhile, Jiang Cheng slowly sat down by the table and poured himself a cup of tea. For a moment, no one spoke a word. The cup of tea was still steaming hot. Without having a single sip of it, he hurled it onto the ground.

The whole audience jolted in their seats. Jingyi privately felt very sorry for Jin Ling for having been raised by such a scary person, but he didn't dare say that out loud - even if Hanguang Jun or Zewu Jun didn't punish him, Sect Leader Jiang would squish him to pulp. He couldn't imagine how stressful it would be to always hang around someone who hurls cups of tea onto the ground out of the blue when they're feeling emotional - or perhaps he was just used to Hanguang Jun and Zewu Jun's composed personalities.

Jiang Cheng pulled a curt smile on his face, "... Don't you have anything to say to me?" Growing up, Jiang Cheng had seen Wei WuXian's awful state countless times as he ran away from dogs. Others may have believed him if he denied it, but, in front of someone who knew him so thoroughly, it'd be impossible to argue. 

It was easy for many people to forget that Wei Wuxian and Jiang Wanyin had been as close as brothers before -  particularly with their relationship being as frosty as it was now. But of course, if they had grown up together, Jiang Cheng would know about Wei Wuxian's fear of dogs and have seen for himself his reactions to them.

"So, Sect Leader Jiang definitely, definitely knows now?" wondered Jingyi. "Oh no..."

"I've  never seen anyone who reacts as badly to dogs as Wei Wuxian." Jin Ling said. "Of course Uncle knows it's him."

He said this dismissively, but was feeling guilty - if it wasn't for Fairy and him running away, Senior Wei wouldn't have been in this terrible situation. He hoped that his uncle hadn't had time to torture Senior Wei before Jin Ling had lured him away...