Chapter 9 - Arrogance

On the other hand, Lan SiZhui and the other disciples did not find anything in the area of the ancient tombs, and had moved on to search for clues in Goddess Temple. The more peculiar thing was that human features could vaguely be seen on the statue, appearing to be that of a smiling lady. Hence, someone turned the stone cave into a temple, and the stone platform into a holy seat. The statue was named "Dancing Goddess," and there were worshippers all year round. 

There was a close up of the "Dancing Goddess" statue, and everyone couldn't help but feel there was something off with it, thought that was perhaps mainly because of the spooky music.

Jin Ling glared at it with outright hostility. That thing had nearly killed him, and he never did get to claim he defeated it...it was so embarrassing. 

At first sight, it did indeed look like a human however, after taking a closer look at it, it would seem rougher. Lan JingYi lifted and lowered the compass of evil, but its pointer still didn't move. A thick layer of incense ashes covered the table for offerings, and disordered candles lay on there as well. A sickly sweet scent came from the plates for holding fruits. Most of the people from the GusuLan Sect had some degree of minor mysophobia. 

There was an uncomfortable silence while those who knew what mysophobia looked curious and surprised, while those who didn't tried to pretend they understood by nodding. 

Jin Ling was one of the latter, but got too curious and asked Sizhui was mysophobia was.

"It's having a fear of dirty things, mess, that sort of thing." Sizhui said with a patient smile that made Jin Ling feel at ease. Suddenly he realised there was a big dirt stain on his outer robe from when he had fallen over dragging Senior Wei out of the tree hollow. He hastily covered it up with his sleeve. Sizhui laughed, "Senior Wei is right, it's only minor, and I don't think I even have it at all. Of course, I prefer neatness and tidiness but some dirt doesn't make me too uncomfortable."

Jin Ling gave an 'Oh!' of understanding and turned back to watch, internally very pleased that he knew something new about his friend. 

He fanned at the air in front of his nose and spoke, "The locals said that it is quite effective to pray at Goddess Temple, but how can it be this ruined? They should at least come and clean once in awhile." Lan SiZhui spoke, "There has already been seven people who lost their souls. Everyone is saying that lightning has let out a fierce creature from the ancient graves of Buddha's Feet, so would anybody dare to come up the mountain? There is no attendance at the temple and so, naturally, there is nobody to clean the place." 

A disdainful voice came from outside of the cave, "It's only a stupid rock, given the title of a goddess by who-knows who, and people dare to put it here, accepting incense and worship!" 

"Bet you anything it's going to be Jin Ling."  some cultivators muttered amongst themselves behind them.

"Why would I take that bet, of course it'll be him! Who else would say something like that!"

"He's not wrong though, is he?"

The cultivators dissolved into laughter as Jin Ling indeed came into the scene, causing Jiang Cheng to turn around and give them an evil eye, which shut them up effectively. 

The time limit for the silence spell was not long, so Jin Ling's mouth could already open. However, nothing nice came out as he looked at the goddess statue and humphed, "These rural villagers don't work hard when they face difficulties, but instead pray to the Buddha and other things every day. There are thousands and millions of people in the world, but gods and Buddhas are already hands-full with their own matters, so who would care about them? Let alone a powerless goddess without status, like this one. If it's really that effective, then I'm gonna pray for the soul-consuming creature in Dafan Mountain to appear in front of me right now. Can the statue do it?"