Chapter 21 - Contentment

Wei WuXian replied, "Huh, so there's an evil being that eats humans there?" Having heard of at least thousands of legends like this and killed at least hundreds of them with his own hands, he found it somewhat boring.

"..." To most of the cultivators, 'boring' wasn't generally a word used when being told about a place housing a monster that eats people. 

Jin Ling snorted. "Stop showing off! As if you've killed hundreds of man-eating beasts!"

"How am I showing off? You are are just intruding on my thoughts." Wei Wuxian shot back indignantly, "And why would I lie in my own thoughts?? Man-eating beasts might scare you because you've barely experienced real life, but there are plenty of worse things out there."

'What type of terrifying life does Wei Wuxian have?' the cultivators were thinking, remembering the ghost arm spirit and the soul-consuming goddess that Wei Wuxian encountered right after being reborn, not to mention the waterborne abyss and who knew what else from his past life. c

The charlatan continued, his voice rising and falling, "That's right! It is said that, in the ridge's forest, there is a 'man-eating castle' with monsters that feed on the humans living inside it. The monsters will devour anyone who ventures inside it without leaving a single crumb behind. No corpses could be found—there wasn't a single exception! It's scary, isn't it?" 

The audience shuddered. People disappearing from the face of the earth without a trace, nor an explanation! What type of terrible beast was this?

No wonder that Jin Ling also came here. Unable to suppress the soulconsuming goddess at Dafan Mountain, he definitely came for the monster in the Xinglu Ridge again. Wei WuXian exclaimed, "Scary indeed! But, if nothing was left behind, and no corpses could be found, how can it be known that they were eaten?"

An older cultivator scowled. "Why is he asking such pointless questions? It is precisely because there are no corpses left that we know they were eaten!"

"One shouldn't judge before they have all the evidence. Vanishing does not mean they were necessarily eaten." Lan Xichen said in a mediative voice.

No one could argue with the esteemed Zewu Jun, of course, but there were still some sceptical faces.

Wei Wuxian rolled his eyes. "For example, they could have been kidnapped and dragged off to be tortured, or sold as slaves, or they could have just used being eaten as a cover up to escape from their debts, or run away with their secret lovers, or... they could still be in the Xinglu Ridge, of course."

The sceptical cultivators immediately shrank in fear against their seats at the grin on Wei Wuxian's face.

 After a pause, the charlatan answered, "Of course someone saw it." Wei WuXian expressed his admiration, "But, before this, didn't you say that anyone who ventures inside it would be devoured without any crumbs being left behind, no exception? Then, who on Earth could have started this legend? How powerful would they have to be, having lived to tell the tale after seeing this kind of scene?" 

"Ha! " Jingyi said triumphantly. "Senior Wei's got him!"

"..." The charlatan, "That's how the legend goes. How would I know?" 

Wei WuXian, "Then, do you know how many people were eaten in the Xinglu Ridge? When were they eaten? Their ages? Their gender? What their names were? Where they lived?" 

The charlatan, "I don't know." 

Wei WuXian, "Qinghe's know-it-all? Huh?"

The charlatan picked up his basket in a fury, "The legends didn't have this kind of information!"