Chapter 31 - Dew

A/N: Happy New Year everyone! 🥳 Enjoy drunk LWJ scene no.1  ;)

 After he summoned Wen Ning, Wei WuXian's state of mind was somewhat confused, so it was hard for him to be continuously alert. And, if Lan WangJi didn't want someone to notice his arrival, he could do it without any difficulty. Thus, as he turned around and saw the even colder face under the moonlight, his heart almost skipped a beat. 

Once everyone had gotten over the fright of Lan Wangji appearing out of nowhere, they began to see the funny side of the situation. 

"Oooh... someone's gonna be in trouble..." snickered a junior disciple. 

"Yeah, Hanguang Jun looks really mad, somehow!" another junior from the Jiang sect said, almost in wonder. 

"Mad at Wei Wuxian?? Or at Wen Ning?" asked his friend, tilting his head. 

"Of course he isn't mad at Senior Wei, Hanguang Jun just looks intimidating like that!" Jingyi interrupted, rolling his eyes, but even he thought Hanguang Jun looked unreasonably angry considering the situation. 

He didn't know how long Lan WangJi had been here for or if he had seen and heard what he was doing. If Lan WangJi had never been drunk in the beginning and followed him all the way here, the situation would be even more awkward, especially with him not saying anything to Lan WangJi's face and sneaking out to summon Wen Ning after Lan WangJi fell asleep. 

There was a lot of laughter at Wei Wuxian's exceedingly guilty expression, like a child caught in the middle of the night stealing candy from the kitchen. 

"How is Lan Wangji perfectly awake and sober again so quickly?? Did he pretend to fall asleep at the inn so he could follow Wei Wuxian afterwards?" a cultivator speculated. 

"Hanguang Jun isn't sneaky like that, he wouldn't pretend to be drunk!" frowned Sizhui, always quick to defend his father. "I'm sure he just woke up from the alcohol-induced sleep and went looking for Senior Wei!"

Lan WangJi crossed his arms in front of him and held Bichen in them. His expression was particularly stiff. Wei WuXian had never seen him with such an obviously displeased expression on his face before. 

Lan Wangji looked at his picture-self at the front of the room, feeling extremely apprehensive. He was glad he'd finally get to know what he had done all the times he was drunk, and he didn't spare a single care for the audience of people watching - their opinion and gossiping had never mattered to him. He just hoped he hadn't hurt anyone unknowingly (even including Wen Ning).

The cultivators made nervous noises at Lan Wangji's expression. There was something different about Lan Wangji - usually he controlled any emotions rigidly, it was very strange to see him look outwardly upset, with his arms crossed an everything. Surely Wei Wuxian secretly summoning Wen Ning without telling him wasn't such a big deal?

Jingyi, on the other hand, laughed. "Senior Wei, that has to be an exaggeration! When you and Hanguang Jun were teenagers, and you swapped his book with your, um, special book, he definitely looked angrier!"

Wei Wuxian tapped his chin, grinning cheekily as he remembered. "Yeah, I probably wasn't thinking about that because it was so long ago. Good memory, though Jingyi!"

Jingyi beamed at the praise, while Jin Ling rolled his eyes. "You don't need a good memory to remember that. I don't think anyone'd be able to forget if they tried."

He felt that he needed to speak first and explain the situation, ease the atmosphere, "Ahem, HanGuang-Jun." Lan WangJi did not reply. Standing in front of Wen Ning, Wei WuXian stared across at Lan WangJi. He touched his chin and, for some reason, felt exceptionally guilty.