Chapter 16 - Refinement

In order to defend himself if ol' fuddy-duddy and lil' fuddy-duddy came to drag him out of his bed in the middle of the night, Wei WuXian slept while clinging on to his sword. Yet, the night went smoothly.

Lan Qiren didn't know exactly what Wei Wuxian meant by 'fuddy-duddy', but it didn't take a genius to infer it was some sort of juvenile insult. "Insolent!" he muttered. If he had been informed of the incident in the Library Pavilion, he would have indeed come for Wei Wuxian, with or without a sword, and booted him out of the Cloud Recesses. 

Lan Wangji smiled softly at the cute image of Wei Wuxian hugging his sword in bed. He wasn't sure what a 'fuddy-duddy' was, either (somehow, that word had never appeared in his vocabulary lists as a student), but it was a nickname that Wei Wuxian had called him by often. He knew it was most definitely not a compliment, but Lan Wangji was fond of it anyway. 

 On the second day, Nie HuaiSang came to him with an overjoyed expression, "Wei-xiong, you really struck it lucky. The old man went to our sect's Discussion Conference last night, so we don't have classes for a few days!"

 Wei WuXian quickly climbed up, beaming as he put on his boots, "A lucky strike, indeed, almost as if Heaven is blessing me with its clouds." 

The cultivators watched in disbelief. That type of timing was so perfect, it didn't seem possible. How was Wei Wuxian so lucky? Maybe Heaven did favour him - after all, after his death and all his sins, he was still alive and happy. 

No wonder he turned out so bad, some cultivator parents thought darkly, When kids don't receive their proper punishment, they start doing more and more wild things!

Jiang Cheng stood on the side, carefully cleaning his sword, and threw cold water on this notion, "When he comes back, you're still gonna get your punishment." 

Wei Wuxian laughed. "Turns out you were wrong! I didn't even get punished, hahaha!" 

Jiang Cheng huffed irritatedly. "You should have. I'm surprised Lan Wangji didn't report you to his uncle. Even I would have."

"Well, Lan Zhan's not a grumpy little rat like you, is he?" Wei Wuxian shot back.

Jiang Cheng swelled like a purple grape. "WEI WUXIAN! SAY THAT AGAIN, YOU-"

Jin Ling shouted over him, "My uncle isn't little! Or a rat! Or... well, he is grumpy. Anyway, how do you have the face to call him little when he's taller than you, Wei Wuxian!"

"No he's not!" Wei Wuxian replied automatically, before remembering he had a different body now. Even though he had been in Mo Xuanyu's body for a good several months now, twenty years of his old life was hard to forget. He amended himself, "I used  to be taller, but in any case, he's much shorter and littler than Lan Zhan, isn't he? And he always used to rat me out to Madam Yu, when I capsized his boat or when I accidentally lopped half his hair off during sword practice-"

"You what??" multiple people asked at the same time.

"- long story - meanwhile, Lan Zhan is very trustworthy, even when I didn't know we were friends, right Lan Zhan?"

"Mn."

Jin Ling turned, astonished, back to the board and saw that Wei Wuxian was indeed, slightly taller than his uncle. He tried to imagine Jiang Cheng with half his ponytail chopped off, but it was such a disturbing thought that he shoved it from his mind.

Wei WuXian responded, "Why would a living person worry about what happens after they die? I'll just live freely as long as possible. Let's go. I refuse to believe that I can't find any pheasants on this mountain of the Lan Sect."