Chapter 28 - Dew

After entering the city, the two walked side-by-side through the bustling crowd. All of a sudden, Lan WangJi asked, "How is the Curse Mark?" 

The smooth transition from the last scene of Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian in the inn to them suddenly already in Yueyang was greatly appreciated by most of the audience. It wasn't that they didn't enjoy leisurely listening to the tea about the prominent cultivators, but they were quite impatient to get to the bottom of all this dismembered corpse business.

Wei WuXian, "Jin Ling was buried too close to our dear friend and got stained with quite a lot of resentful energy. It faded a bit, but it's not completely gone. The chances are we can only find a way to remove it after we find the whole corpse or at least the head. It doesn't really cause much trouble anyways." 

"Hmm. I suppose I was right, then. " commented Wei Wuxian. "The Curse Mark vanished right after I found Ni- that is, um, the corpse's head in Carp Tower."

"Oh..." the juniors nodded. Sizhui suddenly frowned. "Wait, why in Carp Tower?? Was it something to do with... Jin Guangyao?"

Wei Wuxian pulled a face. He didn't know how much to tell the juniors. Half because he wanted to see how long it would take them to realise the identity of the corpse, and half because he didn't want to disrespect Nie Mingjue's memory. It would be quite humiliating to have one's body parts on display in front of the whole cultivation world. 

The "dear friend" was none other than the man that had been cut to pieces. Since they didn't know who he was, Wei WuXian suggested that they referred to him as a "dear friend". Lan WangJi didn't say anything after hearing it, but he didn't object to it either, which could be interpreted as a silent approval. Of course, he himself wouldn't ever use the word.

The cultivators chuckled. Somehow the words 'dear friend' coming out of Wei Wuxian's mouth in such a solemn tone sounded just as ridiculous to them as the idea of Lan Wangji ever saying them.

Lan WangJi, "How much is 'a bit'?" Wei WuXian indicated with his hands, "A bit is just a bit. How do I explain it? Should I take my clothes off and show you?"

"...a-a-and he's back at it." a cultivator groaned. 

"Doesn't he ever take a break from being shameless?" grumbled another. They had to admit, though, it was beginning to grow on them. At least they could rely on one thing in the world: no matter what situation, there would always be Wei Wuxian, shamelessly flirting with Lan Wangji or messing around in general. 

Lan WangJi's brows shifted slightly, as if he was actually worried that Wei WuXian would strip right here and right now. He replied with an indifferent tone, "Take them off after we return." 

"Ooh, what a bold thing to say, Hanguang Jun." Wei Wuxian teased, fluttering his eyelashes. 

Choked coughing noises came from the audience. Wei Wuxian really had corrupted the previously pure Hanguang Jun, hadn't he?

Wei WuXian laughed, whirled around, and walked a few steps facing backward. Before, in order to escape as soon as possible, he desperately tried to disgust others, from feigning madness to purposely losing face. Now that his identity was revealed, if he were anyone else, he would've felt extremely ashamed remembering all those things he did. Only someone with a face as thick as Wei WuXian would carry on as if he wasn't involved in anything. 

The audience laughed darkly to themselves at the absolute truth of this statement. Sizhui reflected amusedly to himself that he had never, not even once, seen any emotion akin to embarrassment or shame, ever,  on his father's face.