Chapter 27 - Malice

Only then did Lan WangJi turn to the front again, gaze still slightly off to the side. Seeing this, Wei WuXian blinked his eyes, wanting to make fun of him for some reason. 

" 'For some reason ' " commented Jin Ling incredulously. "As if you ever need a reason!"

"Yeah, you don't even know why he's embarrassed, but you know that it's something you can make fun of him for." added Zizhen, laughing. 

The members of the audience, although feeling sorry for Lan Wangji having to put up with such tormenting all the time, couldn't help but laugh as well. A flustered Lan Wangji was a rare sight, and naturally Wei Wuxian was going to take advantage of that. 

Just as he was about to tease Lan WangJi, a shattering sound suddenly came from by the desk. They both stood up to look.

Jingyi jumped at the sudden noise, then scowled when his friends burst into laughter. 

The cultivators meanwhile felt slightly disappointed that the moment between Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji had been broken, then confused as to why they were disappointed. When had they gotten so interested in those two?

 The teacups and teapot broke to pieces on the ground. A Qiankun Pouch lay amid the white shards of porcelain and the tea that spilled out. The surface of the bag went up and down, as if something was trapped inside, eager to come out.

Almost all of the Lan disciples winced. They were all uncomfortable, to varying extents, with any sort of mess. The rest of the audience watched the pulsating pouch in horrified fascination. It looked like it was alive! 

"What's the Qiankun Pouch for, again?" Zizhen asked Sizhui in a whisper.

"It's got the left arm from Mo Manor suppressed inside." Sizhui whispered back. "But it doesn't look like it's suppressed right now."

Zizhen gasped in horror. "How is that thin pouch able to contain such an evil thing ? Isn't it going to break? Sizhui-xiong, this is too scary!" He hid behind Sizhui's sleeve.

Jin Ling rolled his eyes, not bothering to hide his contempt. "Why are you so scared of a picture? And it's just a dumb arm!"

Wei Wuxian interrupted with a cough. "Jin Ling, it's best not to insult the arm...you'll feel foolish later."

"...what?" Everyone in the vicinity was burning with curiosity now about who the arm belonged to, but Wei Wuxian clearly wasn't going to say anything else. Meanwhile, the narration was explaining more about the Qiankun Pouch.

 Although the Qiankun Pouch was only the size of a fist, it was specially made to store things. Complex incantations were also sewn on both the inside and the outside, adding a few more sealing layers. 

"Zizhen, did that answer your question?" Sizhui asked, amused. 

Zizhen nodded, eyes wide. "That's so useful!! You could fit anything inside!"

Lan WangJi originally sealed the arm inside the pouch and put it under a teacup on the table. Now, seeing its agitation, they finally remembered that it was time to perform Rest. If not for the short nightly duets they perform to calm it, no matter how strong the Qiankun Pouch's power of suppression was, it couldn't trap the ghost hand alone. 

"You both were playing duets every night to calm it? So romantic! How come we didn't get to hear them?" pouted Zizhen

"The pictures can't retell everything  Senior Wei ever did. We'd be here for decades!" Jingyi replied.

"It'd be an interesting an interested few decades, though." sighed Zizhen.

"I doubt you want to watch me floating around in an abyss for 13 years." muttered Wei Wuxian. The juniors all went silent. "Sorry." Wei Wuxian quickly added.