Chapter 34 - Grasses

The sudden peculiar noises of a bamboo pole knocking on the ground sounded loud then soft, far then near, making it so that it was impossible to determine where or what exactly was making it.

Wei WuXian, "All of you, come over. Huddle close. Don't move and don't attack." 

Amid the fog, if the juniors all withdrew their swords and attempted to attack, it'd be possible for them to hurt themselves instead of the enemy. After a moment, the noise stopped. 

He looks like a mother hen surrounded at the centre of a group of huddling little ducklings, Lan Xichen noted with a smile. 

It was so adorable! The man was no doubt destined to be a teacher. There was something reassuring about Wei gongzi's demeanour - confident and in control, but also gentle and caring. Tying that with Wei gonzi's trademark silliness and ability to make any situation light, it was no wonder the juniors were so loyal and protective of their Senior Wei!

Meanwhile, the juniors in question were listening to Moving Picture Senior Wei's thought-explanations with rapt attention. They'd been a bit too panicked during that adventure in Yi City to properly absorb all the things that Senior Wei had mentioned, or think about the reasons behind many of the orders he gave them. Now with direct access to their biggest idol's thoughts and wisdom unlocked, they couldn't miss a second of it!

Having waited in silence for a few seconds, one disciple spoke under his breath, "It's that again... Just how long is it going to follow us for?!" 

Wei WuXian, "It's been following you?" 

Lan SiZhui, "After we entered the city, because the fog was too thick and it would be easy to wander off, we decided to walk closely together. Then, we suddenly heard the noise. At the time, it was not as fast. It went quite slowly, one knock at a time. Through the fog, we also managed to see a short shadow walk past, right in front of us. But when we chased over, it disappeared. The noise has been following us ever since." 

The members of the audience muttered uneasily to each other, speculating about what the noise could be.

"A unique type of corpse that's really fast?"

"No, it seems like it's some sort of spirit..."

"It must be really malicious, to have caused an entire city to fall into such a state...!"

Zizhen snorted. As if it was A-Qing's fault, what happened to Yi City! He clenched his fists, tears again welling in his eyes as he recalled the devastating fate of poor Miss Qing. It was all that absolute monster  Xue Yang! If Hanguang Jun and Senior Wei hadn't already killed that beast, he'd have set out himself to give Xue Yang what he deserved.  

Wei WuXian, "How short?" 

Lan SiZhui gestured at his chest, "Very short. Very small." 

Wei WuXian, "How long have you been here for?" 

Lan SiZhui, "Around fifteen minutes." 

"Fifteen minutes?" Wei WuXian asked, "HanGuang-Jun, how long have we been here for?"

Lan WangJi's voice sounded from behind the hazy fog, "Around thirty minutes." 

"Look, "Wei WuXian continued, "We've been here for longer than you did. How is it possible that you ended up in front of us, and only ran into us after you turned around?" 

Jin Ling couldn't help but reply, "We never turned around. We've always been walking forward, following this path." 

Some gasped, others just looked extremely disturbed. The path was straight and narrow - how did a bunch of kids walk past Wei Wuxian and Hanguang Jun, then come face to face with them without turning around??