Chapter 15 - Refinement

Wei WuXian was someone who was skilled at finding fun for himself, especially talented in the area of seeking joy amid dull circumstances. Since there wasn't anything else to play with, he could only play with Lan WangJi. He called, "WangJi-xiong." Lan WangJi remained motionless. Wei WuXian, "WangJi." He appeared as if he didn't hear anything. Wei WuXian, "Lan WangJi." Wei WuXian, "Lan Zhan!"

Lan Qiren wanted to bury his head in his hands. What had he been thinking, sending Wangji to watch Wei Wuxian for a month? His poor nephew... maybe the way he had turned out, colluding with demonic cultivators like Wei Wuxian, was all his fault. 

While most of the cultivators were gaping in shock at how one person could be so annoyingly desperate for attention, the junior disciples were giggling behind their hands. 

"I always thought you were all exaggerating when you said he was more annoying when he was young, but now..."  Jingyi exclaimed.

"You have no idea." Jiang Cheng said darkly. "And I had to grow up with him."

 Lan WangJi finally stopped writing, and looked up at him with a cold gaze. Wei WuXian shifted backward, raising his hands as if he was defending himself, "Don't look at me like this. I only called your birth name because you didn't answer when I called you WangJi. If you're upset, you can also call me back with my birth name." 

Anyone who kept talking while Lan Wangji was giving them that look was either an utter idiot or had nerves of steel. The cultivators concluded it was the latter, as they had already seen Wei Wuxian's mental abilities before.

On the other hand, Jiang Cheng knew that Wei Wuxian was both. Being the biggest idiot to walk the planet, while simultaneously having the nerve to whatever he wanted, accounted for Wei Wuxian's whole life story. 

Lan WangJi spoke, "Put your legs down." Wei WuXian's sitting posture was extremely improper, with a slanted body and legs propped up. Seeing that he finally teased Lan WangJi to the point that he started to talk, the former silently chuckled to himself. Listening to Lan WangJi's words, he put his legs down, but his upper body inched unnoticeably closer, and he pressed his arms onto the desk. It was still an unacceptable sitting posture. 

"If that's not flirting, I don't know what is..." Zizhen muttered. 

"It was subconcious!" Wei Wuxian said defensively.

He asked in a serious tone, "Lan Zhan. Let me ask you a question. Do you... really hate me that much?" Lan WangJi looked down, his lashes casting light shadows onto his jadelike cheeks. Wei WuXian hurriedly added, "Hey, don't be like this, ignoring me again after saying so few words. I want to admit my fault and apologize to you. Look at me." 

For such a pushy person, Wei Wuxian had an adorable face - mouth always curved in a smile, features as delicate as porcelain, earnest grey eyes. No wonder Lan Wangji didn't want to look him in the face - it would have been too much for him to handle. 

After a pause, he spoke again, "You don't want to look at me? Sure, then. I'll just start talking. "

"Aaaand that  summarises his whole personality." muttered Jiang Cheng. 

"It was my fault during that night. I was wrong. I shouldn't have climbed the wall, I shouldn't have drank alcohol, and I shouldn't have fought with you. But, I swear! It wasn't that I provoked you on purpose—I really didn't look at the sect rules. The sect rules in the Jiang Sect are all told verbally; none of them are written down. Or else, I definitely wouldn't have done that." 

I definitely wouldn't have finished the jar of Emperor's Smile in front of you. I would have tucked it away and carried it back into my room, secretly drinking it every day and sharing it with everyone until we all had enough.