Chapter 20 - Contentment

When cultivators from prominent clans went out on night-hunts, there were usually crowds people who surrounded around them, appearing similar to a parade. Yet, Lan WangJi had always prefered being alone. This arm was quite strange, and could possibly harm other people if it wasn't handled with caution. Therefore, he didn't bring any other disciples of his sect, and took only Wei WuXian, watching him as close as he could.

Wei Wuxian's calm narration accompanied a lovely scene of lush mountain greenery along a dirt path that slowly wound downwards. From the high vantage point, you could see rolling hills like a blanket below, dotted with patches of lakes, speckled with occasional villages here and there. 

Of course, in the trademark style of whichever all-knowing entity was behind this compilation of pictures, this calmness was contrasted quite heavily with the sudden, dramatic appearance of Wei Wuxian. 

Some older cultivators massaged their foreheads in world-weary dismay. If Lan Wangji 'preferred being alone', Wei Wuxian was really not the ideal person to bring along. Lan Wangji must have known that (as proven throughout the flashback to their childhood)! Perhaps he wanted to keep an eye on him? 

Wei WuXian originally wanted to sneak away during their expedition off the mountain. However, even though he attempted to run away multiple times, it always ended with Lan WangJi carrying him back with one hand holding the back of his collar.

A junior disciple gasped. "Senior Wei, why were you trying to escape?? There was still the ghost arm, didn't you want to figure out the mystery?"

With a snort, Wei Wuxian said, "Uh, no. You little kids already had the mighty Hanguang Jun to protect you, didn't you?" He crossed his arms. "Besides, maybe I wasn't feeling very hospitable to the cultivation world in general. Why should I lend my gracious services once I'm reborn after they besieged me?"

After an uncomfortable silence, which was most pointedly felt by the older cultivators who had taken part in the siege, Sizhui said hesitantly, "That's reasonable. There wouldn't be any point in risking revealing your identity to the cultivation world, the same cultivators who cursed you and wished you to die, and who wouldn't appreciate or recognise your help in any case." 

The juniors didn't know what to say, looking at each other in consternation, until Wei Wuxian broke off his brooding grimace and gave them a playful smile. "Don't worry kiddos, that had nothing to do with you. Anyway..." Wei Wuxian sighed, "Looks like I ended up helping puzzle out the ghost arm anyway..."

 He changed his strategy, sticking to Lan WangJi as hard as he could. At night, especially, he would persistently climb into Lan WangJi's bed, with the intention that Lan WangJi would become disgusted and use his sword to throw him away. 

"I wonder why that didn't work..." commented Lan Xichen under his breath. Jiang Cheng had to physically stop himself from snorting out loud. 

Despite this, no matter how hard he messed around, Lan WangJi steadily stood his ground. Whenever Wei WuXian wriggled into his blankets, he would use a light slap to make Wei WuXian's body rigid, and then stuff him into the other set of blankets in a proper position, where he would remain until daylight broke.

Most of the cultivators were squinting at the quickly moving pictures on the screen. Where was this mysterious spot that would paralyse a person? Was it some sort of ancient Lan technique? Why hadn't they heard of this before?

Wei Wuxian smirked. The narration said 'light slap', but it also failed to mention that Lan Wangji's version of a 'light slap' carried a lot more power than most of these puny cultivators could dream of producing. 

Wei WuXian suffered a ton of losses and complaint about his sore body after he woke up. He couldn't help but think, now that he's grown up, he's also become less fun than before. In the past, he would become shy whenever he was teased, not to mention that he did it in quite an amusing way. But now, not only does he remain unmovable no matter what, he even learned how to counterattack. How can this be?!