{32}

{32}

Trap

Princess Adrianna

Since yesterday the fortress has been on lock down. When I was poisoned my barriers went down and informed the entire pack of my status. Octavius and I agreed there was no reason to put them back up since the entire pack knew now. We believe that this is apart of the plan of whoever is trying to get rid of me.

When I woke up the following morning Octavius was already gone. He'd been gone for a while as his side of the bed fell cold. I don't know where, but I'm assuming it was urgent as the fortress was on lock down.

Stretching out my limbs I grab my robe off the hook and head downstairs. Levi already had shop set up on the dining room table.

"Where is the Alpha," I ask Levi.

"Oh, he woke up this morning with his veins and eyes completely consumed by black. He went to the jail to replenish his energy."

"When did he leave?"

He shrugs and checks his watch. "About an hour ago," he tells. "And how are you feeling this morning, Luna?"

"Shaken up, but I'll live. Any word on the shape shifter?"

"No, but I do have information about them."

"Well spit it out."

"Well, one she isn't a complete shape shifter. More like a form shifter. She can't manipulate her height, scent, or markings. Like the women we thought was the Alpha's mother she couldn't manipulate the mating mark or her scent. If she was a complete shifter she might have been able to. Also, they can't shift into someone's else's wolf."

"What do you mean? They are werewolf too?"

He nods. "Just a different species. Say they took one of our appearances and went to shift it would be their own wolf, not yours. That's how many are usually found out."

So this whole time a shifter who has been against me and bringing me down has been masquerading as his mother and possibly other pack members. This is potentially dangerous, but useful. But, it's a breach in security.

Who knows how long this person been hiding amongst the pack. Just now they got bold enough to play his mother. They worked up the chain of those in power and finally took the form and the most unexpected person. Sure they played the role wonderfully. A mother wouldn't ever see anyone good enough for her son who is an Alpha, not even the moon princess. We let our guard down and allowed someone into the fortress.

I sigh, trying to piece this all together. How we'd catch them. How we'd outsmart them. Clearly they are ten steps ahead of us and their plan is working out for them. What we need to do it catch them off guard and disrupt their plan.

"You look like you are thinking quite hard, Luna," Levi teases.

I glare at him. "Because I am."

He laughs and shakes his head. "I can see why the Alpha admires you so."

~~~~~

A light snow flurry started during Brooklyn and I's afternoon walk. We've been taking these lately, so those who are weary of me can get use to me. Approach me, talk to me, and ask questions. This was Octavius's idea, so the pack can warm up to me and get use to my presence. I mean it is a start. Yet, that isn't the reason for today's walk.

Brooklyn and I wanted to see if we could get the shifter out in the open. Catch her when she is least expecting it and vulnerable. She can't shift out in the open where the whole pack will see her. It'll expose her and that is the point. The only catch is, we don't know what she looks like.

Within a few moments I didn't have control over my own body and Brooklyn looks at me worried as if she is experiencing the same. I look at her with reassurance, knowing my plan is working. With one flaw, I didn't know she could mind control.

"Moon princess and her little guard. Seems I caught you in your plan," a voice purrs in satisfaction. "Your failed plan."

Now Brook looked at me with sorry clearly written on her face. I wasn't worried at all.

"Now we are going to go to the prison and you are going to cooperate," she tells.

"And if we don't," I challenge.

"Then you'll find out the consequences."

And so we went to the prison where I don't remember much of what happened after that conversation. Yet, when I came out of the trance I was in a cell with who I assumed to be Octavius's real mother. She was huddled in the corner and shivering. Sadly my cloak was taken and I couldn't provide her warmth with that, so I did the next best thing. Provided her with my body heat.

"Who are you," she murmurs.

"I am your son's mate and don't worry he'll be here soon. I know it," I tell her.

She smiles weakly. "I'm happy he's finally found his mate and you seem like a wonderful young lady. I know you make him happy."

I smile with a nod.

"Can you explain to me what is going on?"

"The women who kidnapped you is a shifter and took your face and basically used it to get access to the fortress. She tricked everyone and I don't know why they are doing it. I can only assume they wanted to get closer to the Alpha. Using your face he let down his guard believing she was his mother. Now I can only assume she took my face."

"But why can't I leave? She is using your face, possibly."

"Because she needs to keep using it and hiding you from sight won't raise questions."

Yet, I am quite curious as to why the guards haven't come and checked on these cells. Standing and walking to the bars I start to call for them. They stand immediately before the bars, confused.

"How are you here? You just left," one stutters, terrified.

"Because she wasn't me," I tell.

"Prove it," the other hisses.

I sigh and push my knotted hair to the side to show my neck. Immediately they unlock the cell.

"Help the Alpha's mother. She needs to see a doctor. I fear she might be getting hypothermia and is dehydrated," I order.

"Yes, Luna."

I stay with her once we get to the hospital, knowing Octavius can deal with what is coming for him.