{37}

{37}

Memories

Alpha Octavius

Run, run. Run as fast as your little feet can carry you! Run Octavius. Run. Get home before the mob gets you. My little feet hit the ground hearing leaves and sticks crack in their wake. I look back seeing one man holding silver and another holding rope. No, I can't die today, I'm only ten! The angry mob chased after me with their pitch forks and torches. Deep in the woods is where our cottage sits, it's not far off the road to the village.

"Mom! Dad," I cry loud as I see the glimmer of the cottage.

"Mom, dad, please," my cries are louder as I near the cottage.

I could see the candle flicker and the smell of the fire.

I am to young to shift, to young for my wolf to come out a protect me. To young for that strength to come out and tear these people apart. He can't come out and show his true strength and make these people cry. He can't show the monster they believe us to be since he is still developing like I am. Once I reach twelve he'll come out and I can start training and attending academies to grow our strength. To push ourself and be the best werewolf we can be.

I cry out as my foot catches on an up rooted tree root making me fall on my face and the mob being able to gain on me.

"Please, anyone," my whimper is barely audible.

I hear a growl rip from over head and my father's black wolf lunges over me and snarls at the mob. They whimper in fear of his massive wolf stalking towards them. He looks back at my mother who grabs me and runs back to the cottage with me over her shoulder. I could see very little of the fight due to the cloudy night and the trees covering what light the moon was giving off.

Mom sat me down on the kitchen table and inspected me head to toe. Wetting a rag and wrapping it around my foot, she sent me to bed. But I couldn't sleep, not till I knew papa was home and okay. I stood at my window watching him limp to the front door and mom help him in to treat him.

~~~~~

Fast Forward Five Years

"And so we sentence these witches to death," the mayor reads aloud. "They have committed acts only the devil could partake in. Including practicing magic and body shifting. This is unheard of, but we all witnessed."

I was maybe probably sixteen now and I couldn't do anything to save my family. My mate rejected me for how weak I was. What do you expect from an underfed person? Of course I wouldn't grow to the Alpha I was expected to be. I could barely handle shifting let alone hold the form long to fight. I truly was a disappointment and if it wasn't for these people we wouldn't have to fight for food like we do. We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for these people sailing over and claiming stolen land theirs.

"Any last words, witches," he asks.

We say nothing and then my world goes dark.

Before me stands the gates of the under world, the after life. Beside me was my parents as we cross the threshold.

"Names," the man at the gate asks.

"Octavius," I mumble.

I felt like a little kid again.

"Age."

"Sixteen."

The gates of hell were black iron. Torches of green were mounted on the top and tall pillars. It looked like dead vines wrapped around the gate as well. Cracked cobblestone was beneath my feet and dead grass peaking through.

"Pack rank."

"I didn't belong to a pack. I was an outcast. My mate rejected me."

"What would've been your pack rank?"

"I assume Alpha. My wolf was black and I was mated to an Alpha's daughter."

Before I know it I am taken by another person I didn't see at the gate and ripped from my parents.

"Who are you," I ask startled.

This mysterious man was dragging me into a more welcoming area of the afterlife. It looked like a meadow. In the distance there was houses and a pond with a large tree next to it.

"I am the one who oversees the after life," he tells.

"You are the God of the dead?"

He nods. "Precisely, and I need a male who can handle the world above for the Death Alpha position."

"Why are you picking me?"

He laughs and shakes his head. "No, I'm not. You will be entered into a tournament with other Alpha's who lives were cut short. This is a second chance at life and being an Alpha. To prove yourself."

The after life reminded me of the living world. It just was darker and more depressing.

"Octavius," A voice called me.

"Did you hear something," I ask and look behind me.

I wasn't in the afterlife anymore, no a long hallway sprawled before me. It was darkly lit and there are millions of doors.

"Hello?"

I open a door and enter only to find myself at the start of the hallway again.

"Octavius."

"Who are you?"

My head was spinning I know that voice and so did my wolf. He was pushing me to the end of the hallway. Why did that voice sound so sad? Why did I care so much that they were sad? Were they important to me? Where was I and where were they? If I were so important to them why would they leave me? My lungs burned as I ran through the never ending hallway.

No, we need to get to the end, but it felt impossible. I thought I ran a mile but it felt like I barely took a step.

"Please wake up, please don't leave me."

"I am trying," I yell into the abyss.

As I got closer to the door it was harder to walk, it felt as if my shoes were made of bricks. I swing open the door and the blinding light of day greets me. Quickly a head is covering the sun.

"Octavius," Adrianna cries.

"Adrianna," I respond.

She lets out a sob and quickly leans down and claims my lips. She pulls back to look at me, my hands caressing her face.

"Where are we," I ask and sit up.

"In the middle of the battlefield."

It indeed was a battlefield alright.