Volume 1 - Chapter 1 - A Second Chance

Akira's POV - 14 Years Old

I had been in Juvie for a week until I received unexpected news.

Random prison guard: "Kawakami-kun, you have visitors."

All of the other inmates stared at me in awe. I could have read the gasps echoing off of the walls.

The prison guard spoke to me. He asked me to extend my hands so he could unlock my cuffs and escorted me to the visitation room. There sat three familiar faces.

Father: "Akira, Kaori, and Kaede wanted to see you."

That didn't mean I wanted to see them. I was too ashamed to face them. Especially Kaori. I remained silent while refusing to acknowledge their presence.

Kaori is my five-year-old sister whereas Kaede is her mother and my father's girlfriend.

My father continued.

Father: "We're sorry to spring up on you like this. It was the only opening before the next visitation period."

Kaede chimed in.

Kaede: "I told you to stop this madness Akira. Geez, why wouldn't you listen! "

Father interrupted her statement.

Father: "Kaede!"

Kaede: "What? You both know I'm right."

I finally broke my silence, trying to maintain control over my emotions.

Me: "Yeah, you're right. I went overboard. Mom would have been ashamed."

I covered the room in awkwardness and silence. I hadn't accepted my dad dating again since he and Mom divorced. Therefore Kaede and I weren't too fond of each other. She rolled her eyes after hearing that statement.

Kaede: "Sigh you're so hopeless. Kaori, would you like to say something?"

Kaede had asked to break the tension she created.

Kaori rummaged through her mother's tote bag to find a weathered teddy bear. She pulled it out and slid it over the table.

I responded to her kind gesture.

Me: "Kaori I don't know if I can take this. They probably won't allow it in Juvie."

She hid behind her mother but spoke with a giant smile.

Kaori: "I want you to have this big brother. So Me and Big Sister can always be by your side."

Me: " Thank you, Kaori. I will cherish this teddy bear, I promise."

Although I wasn't entirely sure I could take it with me.

She smiled radiantly. She looked like the happiest toddler in the world despite her beloved brother being locked up behind bars. Resembling our dad and her mom, Kaori was a small and very cute mixed Japanese girl.
Kaede on the other hand was quite beautiful. They had met at a bar that my father frequented.

Father: "Kaede do us a favor and ask one of the guards if Akira can take Kaori's teddy bear then take her outside for some fresh air. I wanna have a man-to-man conversation with Akira."

Kaede looked hesitant at first but ultimately agreed.

Kaede: "Yeah fine, let's go, Kaori. Let's get some snacks too hm?"

Kaori nodded back to her. They both walked outside and left me and my father alone.

Father: "Son, I'll make this quick. I managed to pull some strings with your uncle. They could get this dropped off of your record if you go back to that place where Aimee had been."

Me: "Where Aimee had been? You mean the White Room?"

Father: "That's right. I want you to think about it."

My heart rate increased dramatically as I slammed my fists against the table. With my fists clenched, I shouted to him.

Me: "HO-HOW CAN I EVEN THINK ABOUT SOMETHING LIKE THAT?!"

Father: He remained silent and steadfast listening to my rant.

Me: "You see what that place caused our family! Me, Aimee, Mom, even you, does that mean anything to you?! Huh?!"

Father: "It does."

Me: "What does it mean then?"

Father: "It means that my son could get a second chance."

I hesitantly responded, lowering my voice and slouching back.

Me: "I don't want it, I hate that place. I want nothing to do with it."

Father: " I know. I just don't want to see you throw your life away. Like me."

I felt a knot in my chest, the minute he said that.

Me: "That's not true Dad! You didn't throw your life away. We were doing fine, until the White Room."

He didn't respond but continued.

Father: "Akari begged me to take you away from that place yet now it's our only option, God if you're real please help me, help us."

The confidence in his voice faded and the tears started to well up in both of our eyes. I can feel the teardrops from my eyes splash against the table.

Father: "I'm sorry son, I didn't want to make you cry. I know that place has caused us a lot of grief but if you go back and do what they say, you'll be able to put this behind you. You can go to university, get a good job, doing those things are not easy with a criminal record."

He paused before saying.

Father: "I just want you to be successful. That's all. Even if we have to go through hell to do it."

My throat was constricted tightly. Any word that would come out would feel like a million needles. Therefore I refused to answer him. I looked away in great shame.

Father: "I'm going outside to fetch Kaori and Kaede ok? We'll say our goodbyes and leave. Your uncle is gonna visit you next week so consider his offer. Whether you choose to take it or not, depends on you. I won't force you to do anything."

He stood up from his chair and placed a cigarette behind his ear.

Father: "I'll be back ok?"

He left the visitation room and stepped outside. He didn't wait for my response.

I sat at the table alone trying to squeeze the leftover tears out of my eyes.