Volume 1 - Chapter 12 - Elementary

Akira's POV

The clock read 8 pm, but my body felt like it was 2 am. I lay in my bed, after taking a shower, and I stared at the ceiling. The day that I had was extremely exhausting. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays usually consisted of class and basketball practice in addition to gathering information about Ayanokoji.

Every day I contemplated asking Sudo about Ayanokoji. Questions like:

What's he like?

Is he your friend?

Can you give me his contact?

However, for the sake of my mission, I resisted the temptation. If Ayanokoji were to get suspicious of me, it'd be a harder time to get rid of him. Running away wasn't my style but in times like these, I'd remember the proverbs I had learned over the years.

Slow and steady wins the race.

To lose patience is to lose the battle.

My eyes began to drift off and sleep was beginning to win this battle. That was until I heard a loud 'beep beep' sound. My phone was ringing. I stretched my arm across the bed and read the caller ID.

Me: "What's up Arisu-san."

The unexpected call had come from Sakayanagi. She spoke in her usual soft tone.

Sakayanagi: "Nothing much you?"

Me: "I'm good."

There was an awkward silence after I spoke. With my anxiety being so overwhelming, I had to break the silence.

Me: "Arisu-san is there a reason for you calling me right now?"

She remained on the line and then she responded.

Sakayanagi: "Well, I called to see if you made any progress on the practice midterms."

That statement woke me from the battle with sleep. My eyes were wide open and my body was energized.

Me: "Haha I forgot."

She chuckled on the other end of the phone.

Sakayanagi: "You let everyone beat you Akira-kun, I'm surprised. Even Masayoshi finished his. Well, you're a special case since you're on the Basketball team."

Me: "Huh? You telling me Yoshi did all of them already?"

Sakayanagi: "Yep."

Me: "That Slacker? Hmph. Well, I can't fall behind can I?"

I stood up out of my bed and walked over to my desk. There was a stack of cold papers sitting on top of it. I stared at it then reluctantly sat down and skimmed through them.

Sakayanagi: "Are you going to do them now?"

I could have heard an elevation in her voice, she seemed quite surprised.

Me: "I mean yeah, it's only nine o'clock. These questions don't look too difficult either."

After I had skimmed through them, I realized that I had done similar questions when I was a child. Most of the things I've been learning here were all elementary-level things for me.