Volume 2 - Chapter 1 - Freefall

Akira's POV

I felt a tap on my shoulder and a paper thrust in front of me.

Kamuro: "Hey, I'm done."

I had prepared a practice midterm for her, hoping to simulate the experience we would have tomorrow. The start of the exams was swiftly approaching but I was satisfied with the amount of progress she had made. She was on track to do well on the exam I believed. I checked it over and didn't see any mistakes.

Me: "Kamuro-san, you do this perfectly. Well done."

She gave me a slight smile to me, maintaining eye contact.

Kamuro: "Well, I did have a pretty good teacher."

Me: "Hahaha no it was all your own effort. I only gave you the tools, you built your own success."

She started to blush and avoid my gaze. Packing her bag, she approached the exit and intended to leave.

Kamuro: "Thanks A-"

She paused and looked down. After waiting for about a minute, she looked back at me, staring into my soul.

Kamuro: "It's ok if I call you Akira right?"

I giggled after seeing the nervous expression on her face. She crossed her arms and looked away.

Kamuro: "What the hell are you laughing at? I'm serious you know."

I approached her and held out my hand to her, intended to shake it.

Me: "We're friends right? That's what friends do."

She smiled and placed her hand into mine shaking it.

Kamuro: "Thank you Akira."

Me: "No problem Masumi."

After we had realized that we were holding hands and calling each other by first names, we both swiftly released our hands and looked away from each other. The intense red blush covered both of our faces. She exited the room and swiftly walked away, leaving me alone in the room yet again. This time, nobody was tailing me.

I sat down in a nearby seat, waiting for my heart to stop pounding. I couldn't escape that feeling. Her hands were so warm and soft, honestly, I didn't want to let go.,

'ping'

There was a notification on my phone from Kamuro.

Kamuro: "Good luck on the exams Akira."

I smiled upon reading that message, causing my heart to flutter even more.

Me: "Good to you too Masumi."

With that, I turned off my phone and left the library for the night. However, during my walk to the library's entrance, I encountered Kushida who was waiting outside for me. I knew why she was here, it was all according to my plan.

Me: "Kushida-san, thanks for your patience. I have them right here."

I took a disposable glove from my pocket and used it to pick up a stack of folded papers.

Me: "These are previous midterms that have already been solved online. You already arranged to meet Ayanokoji tonight?"

She responded in her usual happy-go-lucky tone.

Kushida: "Yeah, I'm going to meet him and Horikita-san tonight for tomorrow's midterms."

I handed the papers to her and instructed her to secure them in her bag.