Volume 1 - Epilogue - Motivation

Akira's POV

Kamuro and I were sitting in this room for about an hour, reviewing the questions she had gotten wrong on Sakayanagi's practice midterms. I made her redo each question and assisted whenever she had trouble. Surprisingly she was a very diligent student. She didn't have any qualms about me helping her and listened to whatever I said without a doubt.

She was a pleasure to teach.

After the last question, she stretched her arms and sighed in relief.

Kamuro: "Finally done. Can I leave now?"

I checked her work and gave her the thumbs-up gesture. After she saw me, she packed her bag and approached the door. Before she left, however, she asked a question.

Kamuro: "You're more than you let out to be huh?"

I had taken my head from the papers and looked at her with a tilted head.

Me: "What do you mean, Kamuro-san?"

She turned her body towards me, seemingly postponing her exit.

Kamuro: "Basketball Team, Perfect Scores, That's not what I expected from a guy like you. You don't seem like the same guy I met on the bus last month."

Me: "Ahhh thanks I guess."

I couldn't tell if that was a compliment or an insult. She continued.

Kamuro: "How are you so good at English of all things?"

Me: "Well my mom spoke English fluently so I learned it from her."

She acquired a slight smile on her face and nodded.

Kamuro: "Well I guess that explains a lot. The other subjects, I assume you're just academically gifted?"

Holding the back of my head and laughing nervously, I answered.

Me: "Well I guess you can say that."

Kamuro: "Hmph."

She took her bags and started to leave however I stopped her.

Me: "Wait!"

She stopped in her tracks and turned around.

Kamuro: "What?"

Me: "Are we meeting again, before the midterms? For English."

I couldn't look her in the eyes while saying that. She turned and left.

Kamuro: "We still have a week until Midterms, so tomorrow's good?"

Me: "Ye-yeah."

I watched her walk away from me yet I also felt an ominous presence watching me. I stayed behind for a couple of minutes ensuring that Kamuro was far enough and took a seat at the table.

Me: "Whoever's watching me, you can come out. I know you're there."

After I said that loud enough for the person to hear, they stepped out and peered at me through the glass door. I stood up and opened it widely for them.