Chapter 19

Kabanata 19

That random statement was enough to destroy the good atmosphere for the rest of the day and night. Umuwi kami, glad he was calm when driving not like the time in the bar.

Tahimik kami sa sasakyan hanggang sa makarating sa bahay. Nakasunod ako sa likod niya nang makapasok sa condo.

We had already taken our dinner at a restaurant as we planned in the morning but it didn't melt the ice. I sighed and stayed silent and did my routine after his.

We layed silently in bed. I figured I haven't said goodnight yet. Hindi naman ako inaantok, and most likely so is he. I can hear his heavy uneven breathing.

Is he still mad? I thought hard about what I've done.

I'm just asking for his sake. I thought what will be his choice whenever such chances appear. I want both of us to come up with mutual consensus, to be apart peacefully. That's all.

Stacey seemed to feel quite a deal for him. She won't be that hurt anyways, perhaps she actually felt heartbroken when he married someone else when he promised her their future. And what does a person does whenever they're in pain? Despair? No, revenge.

I sighed. It's not like I'm on her side, I'm on Arthur's side why I wanted to get a hold of his thoughts to be able to understand him and do what is best for him.

Ngumuso ako. " Goodnight Arthur. " I said just so I won't break the habit.

He didn't reply, I thought he's asleep or not really interested to. Pumikit nalang ako at sinubukang kalimutan nalang 'to. We'll be okay tomorrow.

It was minutes, I felt restricted with the unusual silence so I couldn't feel comfortable enough to sleep.

But I was tired so my eyes were dropping lazily. Until I heard him sigh loudly again.

He shifted and I felt him face me now.

" Isabel. " He whispered. " Are you asleep? " tanong niya.

Nagmulat ako, it can't be an imagination. He really is calling me.

I indulged him ofcourse. Curious ako anong sasabihin niya. And.. he's not usually like this. Kahit di sabihin ay nakaramdam ako ng pagkamangha.

" I'm not. " Sagot ko.

He was silent 'till he sighed. " Let's talk for a bit. " aya niya.

Kumurap ako. " What is it? " tanong ko.

His hands went to my waist. Whenever he does that it means he wanted me close.

" Are you upset with me? " tanong niya. All anger gone and only left with anew calming tone.

Ngayon ay nilingon ko na siya. Nagtama ang tingin namin at kita kong wala na nga ang pagsalubong ng kilay niya na para bang galit. Now, he just looks..worried?

I was taken aback of the change of his reaction but I didn't let him see that.  Umiling ako.

" Hindi naman. " sagot ko trying not to get distracted by his eyes. This is the rare times I get a closer glimpse of him and while he looked handsome away, he's even more captivating up close.

His eyes are dark grey that seemed to shine more in the basking of moonlight. His hunter eyes decorated with rich thickness of curvaceous lashes and slightly curved brows.

" Did I..scare you? " he asked carefully.

Napaawang ng konte ang labi ko. Is he worried about that? I blinked to check if I'm not dreaming and I am not.

" N-No, Arthur. " Sagot ko.

" Really? " Tanong niya.

Mahina akong tumango.