Chapter 31

Kabanata 31

" We're here. " Arthur announced in a neutral voice. Lumabas siya at umikot, he opened the door for me which made me felt relieved for a bit. That might be the first sweet gesture he gave to me after everything.

But no, my pain won't just go away like that.

Lumabas si Daphne sa passenger seat.

" Thank you. " Maliit kong sabi at sinubukang ihuli ang mata niya but as always, he didn't look at me.

The guards on one van also went out and stood behind us.

" I'll leave my wife to you, take good care of her. " Malamig niyang sabi sa mga guards. Tho he said that coldly, my heart melted for a bit. He still acknowledge me as his wife.

They stood straight like a soldier and nodded obediently. " Yes sir! Makakaasa ka po. " Wika nila.

" I'd have to go. " paalam niya at sandali kong pinigilan. I held his shirt.

" A-Arthur.." I called and he stopped. Nilingon niya ang damit na hawak ko, I realized my mistake and tarantang binitawan iyon dahil nagusot na. " S-Sorry, t-take care. " mahina kong wika.

He sighed and nodded. " Yeah, enjoy. " maliit niyang sabi saka tumungo na sa sasakyan at iniwan kami.

I watch his car drive away with a heavy heart. When will we go back to what we were.

The children lifted my mood for a bit and made me forget my problems. Looking at them again lifted my spirit. Their smiles and laughter are contagious.

" Ate Isa! " They staggered towards me as they ran. I laughed and they tried to hug me but the guards blocked their way. Lumawak ang mata ko. " No! Please, they're safe. Please.." I begged afraid the children will get scared.

They glanced at me and sighed saka umalis.

I was afraid baka matakot na sakin ang mga bata dahil sa nangyari. Most of them were terrified as what I saw from their faces but when they ran towards me, I felt relieved.

" Ate Isa! " They cried. " Nakakatakot sila! " They cried pointing at the guards as if nagsusumbong.

My lips parted at nataranta ako. " Uh, can you all please move a distance? " I asked the guards.

They hesitantly looked at each other.

" Please. " I said.

" Ako na sasama kay ma'am. You all distance yourself. " One said who's the most terrifying of them all ordered.

They followed and the man went behind me.

" Dito lang po ako, kailangan po talagang may kahit isa kang kasama. " Wika niya.

I sighed. " Alright. " Wika ko trying to calm the crying children.

The nuns got the sense of the ruckus and went to help me calm the children down.

" Inaaway nila si Ate Isa! " sumbong ng isa who seemed to misunderstand the situation.

I smiled helplessly.

" Pasensiya na po. " I apologized to the head nun.

Umiling siya. " Namimiss ka rin nila Mrs. Austodillo. They've been asking for you for weeks now. " Wika niya.

" Oh. " My heart melted as I stare at them calming now.

" Ate Isa! Turuan mo ulit kami please! " One initiated and I sighed and smiled.

" Ofcourse. " Wika ko at and they cheered.

So I did. I taught them and they seem to be listening more than before. Some even pulled jokes and such making the whole children laugh.