winning a battle, losing the war

Maddie laughed watching George and Izzie carry all of their boxes and belongings into her house

"You know you could help!" George complained.

"Hey, I was at the hospital till 1am Georgie, I need rest before today's tragedies."

"Today's tragedies?" Izzie questioned.

"Oh you don't know?" Maddie chuckled.

Izzie and George just stared at her.

"Dead baby bike race day!" Maddie grinned before rushing up to her room to get ready.

"Fools on bikes killing themselves. Natural selection is what it is." Bailey complained to her interns.

"So what's up with the Nazi, is she off her meds?" Alex asked George and Maddie, who let out a small laugh.

George started to explain the race to the Alex, Izzie and Cristina before he was sent to the OR floor to assist The Chief.

"Okay people, the rules of trauma. Don't mingle with the ER interns, they don't know their ass from their esophagus. Sew fast, discharge fast. Don't let me catch you fighting over patients. Got it? Come on, let's go." Bailey said, leading her interns into the pit.

"Oh Maddie." She stopped, pulling her youngest intern aside. "Doctor Shepherd requested you on his service today but I need you here with the racing idiots. So you'll be with him tomorrow."

"Thanks Dr Bailey." Maddie smiled, catching up to her fellow interns seeing injured bike riders scattered all over the place.

"Oh, it's like candy, but with blood, which is so much better." Cristina smiled like she was in heaven.

"You're a psycho." Maddie laughed.

Meredith and Alex fought over a patient while Izzie and Cristina did the same. Maddie rolled her eyes, not caring about getting the best case so she went for a man who looked around her age, he had no obvious serious injuries apart from a deep gash on his forehead plus he was covered in grazes.

"Hey!" Maddie smiled. "I'm Doctor Grey, do you mind if I clean you up a little and you can tell me what happened?"

"You have a beautiful smile." The guy said to her. "I'm Rocky."

"Balboa?" She laughed. "You're doing the wrong sport."

"Funny darling." He smirked. "My real names Dean, doesn't sound as good as Rocky."

Maddie put a temporary dressing over his forehead wound before gently cleaning up all of his scrapes.

"Dean's a good name." She smiled.

"Then you get to call me Dean. You've got magic hands yeno?"

"Years of med school." Maddie chuckled. Dean continued to stare at her.