𝐬𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐨𝐮𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐢𝐫𝐬

✯

People have scars in all sorts of unexpected places. Like secret roadmaps of their personal histories, diagrams of all their old wounds. Most of our old wounds heal leaving nothing behind but a scar, but some of them don't.

Maddie had to stay in the hospital for a while before she could go home. However, she was discharged early, seeing as she was a doctor... living with doctors and she was allowed back to work as long as she took it easy... which again meant no surgeries.

She had been at home for a week and Meredith had also been off work to look after her sister.

She hadn't thought about her mother's death all that much, which made her feel guilty. The sisters hadn't really spoke about it. And she was avoiding seeing Doctor Perkins.

Cristina, who had been visiting a lot, also broke the news to Maddie that her and Burke were engaged. Maddie was excited for Cristina, she was happy. But Maddie didn't like or fully trust Burke and she couldn't explain why.

The puncture in her lung was pretty small and the cut the metal shard had made, was healing nicely, she'd know, with Derek checking it every day.

"I'm so happy you're here, we live together again." Maddie beamed at Alex before hugging him. He smiled back, holding her in his arms, probably a little longer than necessary, but he still couldn't get the picture of Maddie's lifeless body out of his mind.

Alex could no longer afford his apartment so Maddie suggested he move in to George's room. Seeing as George was now a married man who lived in a hotel with his wife.

She showed Alex to George's old room and let him get settled in before going downstairs to make some coffee for her first day back at work.

"I dug my keys into the side of his pretty little souped up four wheel drive, carved my name into his leather seaaaatsss." Maddie sang as she poured her coffee, still wearing her pyjamas.

"Remind me to hurt whoever's made you so angry." Derek joked from behind her.

"DUDE!" Maddie screamed, getting a fright.

"I could've spilled my coffee!"

Derek's face fell, not realising she had just poured a hot cup. "Maddie I'm so-"

"I could have spilled my coffee!" She dramatically repeated.

"... and burned yourself."