𝐤𝐮𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐮 𝐟𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠

✯

there's this thing about being a surgeon, maybe it's pride or maybe it's just about being tough... but a true surgeon never admits they need help unless absolutely necessary.

"Doctor Grey." Maddie was shaken awake where she lay in bed in an on call room.

"Jacob, hey you okay?" She sat up, seeing who woke her. "What time is it?"

"It's 2am.. I'm sorry.. I-I shouldn't have w-woke you." He stuttered as he started pacing, his breathing heavy.

"No, it's okay, what's going on?" Maddie now stood up, turning the light on.

"Jacob! What happened?" She exclaimed, rushing to him, seeing a bruise forming under his eye and a large cut on his head which caused blood to seep down the side of his face.

"I um-I was on a date.." Jacob bit his lip as his voice shook. "With-with a guy." A couple of tears streamed down his face. "I guess a group of guys at the bar didn't like it."

"Oh, Jacob." Maddie pulled her intern into her arms, not caring if she got blood on her clothes, she was a surgeon after all. "I'm so sorry." She whispered, squeezing him.

Jacob let out a quiet sob. "The guy I was with, he just ran.. he left me there."

"I'm so sorry this happened to you Jacob." Maddie sighed, pulling him to sit on the bed.

"I guess these things happ-"

"No Jacob, these things don't just happen.. well they do, but they shouldn't! It's wrong, it's illegal! This is a hate crime, we should report this."

"No way." Jacob dryly chuckled, shaking his head. "My own dad disowned me when he found out I was gay, caused him and my mom to divorce."

"That's horrible, but it's not your fault Jacob, you didn't ask for any of this, you should always be unapologetically yourself.. always."

Jacob couldn't speak, a lump formed in the back of his throat as he tried to hold back his tears. Maddie told him to stay in the on call room while she went to get supplies to clean him up.

She couldn't believe what happened to him. She understood everyone was entitled to their own opinions, but this pissed her off. Some group of guys got violent because Jacob was on a date with a man... as if it impacted them.

After cleaning up his cut, Maddie sent Jacob home and told him to take the following day off, he was reluctant to oblige but found Maddie could be strict when she wanted to be.