𝐨𝐡, 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐮𝐢𝐥𝐭

✯

First, do no harm. As doctors we pledge to live by this oath. But harm happens.
Then guilt happens, and there's no oath for how to deal with that.

"M&M in 10 minutes people!" Bailey called to her interns.

"M&M's?" Maddie jolted up off the nurses station, where she was resting her head.

"The M&M conference Grey, I suggest you bring a gallon of coffee with you." She eyed her barely awake intern. "I want all of you there."

"We get to go to the M&M?"

"Yes. People die in this hospital. Once a month we gather to discuss how our actions as physicians contributed to the deaths. This is a serious exercise." Bailey said before walking off.

"Hey, are you alright?" Alex whispered to Maddie.

"Yeah." She whispered back.

He was the only one that knew she'd been up during the night with nightmares. She told him she couldn't remember what they were about. But of course, she could remember.

The gun shots. The screams. The pain.

The numbness.

"I'm fine." She said, when he gave her a disbelieving look.

"You look crap." Meredith said, rubbing her sisters back.

"You look apendixless." Maddie scoffed.

"So do you."

"You're weird." George sighed. "You're both weird."

"George Alex, you get good seats. Mer, Maddie and I will get snacks." Cristina said.

"AND COFFEE!" Bailey's voice shouted, but the short resident was nowhere in sight.

"And coffee." Cristina confirmed.

Maddie sat between Alex and her sister, cradling a large cup of coffee, Cristina on Meredith's other side and George on Cristina's other side.

"She's trying to make me feel guilty about the other night with Izzie." George huffed as he sat down.

"I thought you said you apologised.." Meredith said.