deny, deny, deny

"Doctor Stevens. What are the primary causes of ventricular arrhythmias?" Bailey asked Izzie.

It was another typical morning of rounds for the interns, only this time they were missing one of their group.

"Valvular disease, mitral valve prolapse, stimulants, drugs, and metabolic abnormalities." It wasn't Izzie who answered.

Maddie turned around, hearing a familiar voice behind her.

"What are you doing?" She hissed at Cristina who was standing in the doorway, wearing a hospital gown and holding her IV stand. "You look like a crazy person!"

"I do not!" Cristina denied. She looked pleased with herself.

"Out!" Bailey snapped at her.

"I'm fine." Cristina smiled.

"Out! You better be in your room by the time we round on you."

"By the time we round on you." Maddie whispered to Alex as they both shared a laugh.

"And when will that be?"

"In 15 seconds. 14, 13, 12, 11..."

Cristina rolled her eyes but started walking away, however her hospital gown left her exposed.

"Nice panties Yang!" Alex grinned.

"Behave!" Maddie lightly hit his arm but she couldn't hide her laughter.

"In your dreams evil spawn." Cristina glared, holding her gown closed at the back before continuing her way.

"Cristina Yang. Post-op day 3 from a unilateral salpingectomy." Maddie presented, a bright smile on her face.

"And ready to get back to work." Cristina added, trying to mirror Maddie's smile.

"Is she?" Cristina's Mother, who was also in the room, questioned.

"I'm taking solids and my pain is controlled with oral meds. I'm ready."

"Didn't the nurse say this morning you had a fever?"

"Mother!"

Maddie snorted in amusement at Cristina being caught out by her Mother.

"Yang, did you have a fever?" Bailey asked.

"Temp spiked to 101 last night. Big deal." She mumbled.

"We appreciate your dedication but you're staying in bed until it normalizes." Bailey insisted.

"I keep telling her there's more to life than surgery and career." Cristina's Mom said.

"She's like... the total opposite of ours." Maddie whispered to Meredith with wide eyes, her big sister quietly laughed back, nodding in agreement.

"Mother, go upholster something."

"Look, I need you to relax, shut up and get better. You're a patient this week so you can be a doctor next week. Understand?" Bailey said before her and the interns left the room. She lead them to their next patient.

"Uh Doctor Bailey... have you uh.. had your morning coffee?" Maddie asked with an overly sweet smile on her face, after she realised who the next patient was. "Could I interest you in a coffee Doctor Bailey, Momma B, Miranda.."

Bailey rolled her eyes and a small smile made its way on to her face. "Go! And I'll take a decaf." She said shooing her intern away.

"Decaf? That's brave." Maddie mumbled to herself. "Thank you! You're the best!" She quickly scurried off.