𝐛𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐧

"Who's Mommy's good boy?" Maddie cooed at Doc while she crouched in front of him, holding his paw.

"You're a good boy, such a good boy." Meredith also cooed, scratching his neck.

"Uhh... we need to talk about the dog." George said.

"That's not a dog, it's a hyena that escaped from the zoo, dressed in dog clothing." Izzie added.

"How dare you!" Maddie gasped, covering Doc's ears.

"People, he's our dog. We love our dog. He loves us." Meredith said. "Come on, we're gonna be late."

Maddie kissed Doc goodbye and followed Meredith out of the house.

As soon as the Grey sisters left, Doc turned to Izzie and George, growling.

"Listen up, people. New year, new rules. Or should I say, new year and we will be enforcing the rules mandated by the Residency Review Committee. There were too many mistakes made last year. Fatigue played too big a role. Exceeding 80 hours work per week will not be tolerated." Richard Webber said to the group of doctors standing below him.

"Does that mean we get to have a life?" George asked his fellow interns quietly.

"I think so." Izzie replied.

"Sullivan. You were on call for 28 hours. Leave when you hit 30. Grey, you were here until two AM. See you at noon." He looked at Meredith.

"I get to go? Free time?"

"Run before he changes his mind." Maddie laughed, standing next to Alex.

"Oh, and people, our nurses are gonna have to work extra hours to compensate, so treat them well. Cranky nurses don't do us any good."

"Well, maybe you can cheer them up." Izzie said to Alex.

"I'm outta here." Maddie said, leaving to find Bailey, not wanting involved in any of the drama.

"I hope seeing you here means they found you a heart." Bailey said to the patient on the bed.

"No offence, doctor, but I'm not a big fan of hospitals. It'd take something special to get me in here."

"What do we know about Mr Duquette?" Bailey asked her interns.

"Capricorn, single, loves to travel and cook..." The man responded before anyone else could.

"Denny, be quiet."

"Denny Duquette, 36, admitted today for a heart transplant necessitated by viral cardiomyopathy." Izzie smiled.

"And what does that mean?"

"That his heart is unable to fill and pump blood normally." Maddie said.

"Good." Bailey looked between the two doctors before deciding. "Denny, this is Doctor Stevens, she'll be tending to you."

"I guess I'll be seeing you around Doctor Stevens." Denny and Izzie shared a long smile.

That was weird Maddie thought.

"O'Malley you're with Doctor Montgomery Shepherd today, Maddie, she requested you too, go do an intake on her patient!" Bailey shooed them away.

"Georgie! I haven't worked with you in forever!" Maddie excitedly smiled.

"I know, we're a good team." He smiled back.

♡ ✶ ☽ ✵ ♡ ✶ ☽ ✵ ♡

"Doctor O'Malley, Doctor Grey." Addison greeted, entering the patients room.

"Hi." George said. "Mr and Mrs Singleton, Rebecca-"