𝐝𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐨𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐨𝐫 𝐟𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐞

Maddie felt like she'd been unconscious for hours. But really, it was only a matter of minutes.

She awoke to her pager beeping erratically.

"Leave me alone." She mumbled, like it was an alarm clock.

It was Meredith, paging her 911 to Denny's room.

Maddie gasped remembering what happened, turning over she saw Doctor Burke laying unconscious next to her.

"Oh my god, he's been shot." She mumbled to herself, shivering as she sat up.

"Oh god, Doctor Burke!" Bailey shouted, running over to him.

"Maddie? Maddie are you okay?" She asked now seeing her intern.

"Yeah, fine." Maddie mumbled getting up and running off, not feeling the pain from her shoulder or her head. Her dark 'Seattle Grace' jacket, hid the blood that oozed out of her shoulder.

She was in shock.

"Maddie!" Bailey called while she attended to Doctor Burke.

Burke was now in an emergency room with Bailey and the chief when Derek arrived.

"Doctor Burke, how we doing?" He greeted before taking a look at his wound. "What happened?"

"Guy who shot up the restaurant came back for more and shot himself in the process." Richard replied.

Derek nodded. "Entry upper right shoulder. Could be lodged in the spine. Ok, lets roll him over."

"Easy."

"Watch the arm."

"The bullet is in dangerous property here, okay? We need to check your hand function." Derek informed him.

"I want you to try and squeeze my fingers, okay?" Richard said.

"Maddie." Burke mumbled.

"What?" Derek asked, confused.

"She went to Mercy West with him." Richard said.

"And came back with him." Bailey replied.

Richard and Derek looked puzzled.

"Where is she? Was she hurt too?" Derek asked, fearing the answer.

"Maddie... she got shot." Burke said.

Richard and Bailey's eyes widened.

"Where the hell is she?" Derek asked Bailey.

"Doctor Shepherd, I saw her, she seemed fine before she ran off." Bailey said.

"Did you get a proper look at her Doctor Bailey?" Richard asked as Derek rubbed a hand over his face.

"No." Bailey looked down in shame. "Burke was on the ground with an obvious gunshot wound. Maddie got up and ran off before I could look at her."

"She could be anywhere now." Derek paced. "She could be dead."

"Doctor Shepherd, I need you to calm down." Richard attempted to calm him.

Burke lay in bed, he had a feeling he knew where Maddie had gone. But she wasn't stupid, if she was seriously hurt he'd hope she'd seek medical attention.

♡ ✶ ☽ ✵ ♡ ✶ ☽ ✵ ♡

"What the hell is going on?" Cristina asked, entering Denny's room where chaos was erupting.

"Exactly what I said!"

"She cut his LVAD wires!" George exclaimed.