24| THE CONSEQUENCES OF GETTING ALONG

"You didn't tell me we were hanging out today!" Will said. 

His fingers moved briskly against the keyboard, coherent to the thoughts in my head. How am I supposed to tell him? It's been six months, and we haven't done anything besides the first thing on the bucket list- being friends, and  we suck at that too. Things have grown awkward between us. I couldn't comprehend how I was supposed to take this forward, especially after Josh proposed me. My fears had heightened. What if I turn out to be just another distraction for Josh? What if the girl in his head haunts the possibilities of our relationship?

"I thought we were friends. Friends don't need schedules to hang out." I shrugged and walked close to his desk.

The words felt hollow to me. I didn't even know how he was going to take them. When he visited me at the hospital, I was rude to him because I was shit-scared that he had sabotaged my chances of being with Josh, but I couldn't blame it all on him. Now that Josh had already asked me out, I had a new set of problems- To figure out if all of this was real? My best bet at the situation was Will Turner. But he seemed rather uninterested in me, or my love life.

"I am sorry. When I said I wanted us to be friends, I meant that. Sorry for being rude." I said. They say you either tame a bull or be its friend. It was a war secret. Did Will know about it? I hope not.

"Well, I thought it was just a stupid bucket list for you!" He glared at me as he drew his lips into a line.

"I never said that!"

"Oh really?" He scoffed.

"I am sorry! Please, hear me out!" I said, my hands on my hips as I stood beside him.

These days when I am close to him, I feel this emotional swing that makes me cry. It must be because of my periods. I hate these damned periods. So much for not getting pregnant!

Tears fall from the corners of my eye. I could feel the mascara washing off as Will stared at me while I self-loathed. He rose from his chair and walked closer. The air was nothing but his cologne, and his face had unmatched grief and some other emotion. Worry? It made me want to cry more, and I broke into sobs, my breath all hinged. Fucking Turner.

"Hey, hey! It's all right. Look here..."

"Can we please get done with the bucketlist sooner?" I asked.

He lifted my chin, my eyes meeting his. His slender fingers caressed my cheek gently, and I felt a tug at my heart. Bloody hormones! 

He placed his arms around me, and all the distance between us collapsed as he pulled me into a warm hug. I found my body relaxing against his touch, my tears forming a pool across the fabric of his shirt. But somehow, he did not seem bothered. His palm caressed the back of my head, his fingers playing with strands of my hideous hair. A little awkward, but okay. I couldn't complain about that, could I?

"I am sorry for treating you like shit, Will. You deserve better."

I do not remember embracing this way before. I had overlooked his concern for me, and I felt petty. It wasn't a mere clause on the contract. He cared for me as a friend. I buried my face in his chest and cried a little longer. We stood in silence. All I wanted to do at the moment was to forget about everything else and stay like that for a little bit longer. It helps with the serotonin, you know!

"Let's do all the things on the bucket list," He said, lifting my chin.

I looked like a mess, but my words were no mere words. It was the promise of a changing heart. Not that I could ever handle its course, but I knew some things were supposed to be. It's one of those things, so I will let it happen. 

"I brought you chocolate chip cookies. As a sign of peace."I said, wiping off my tears.

A radiant smile played on his lips. Over the last few days, I learned a few things about him. One of which was he loved chocolate chip cookies. I baked a fresh batch after over the weekend.

I handed him the paper bag, and he tore it open immediately.

"Smells good," he said, holding one of them as I got myself a seat on the couch.

"Go on, get a bite, Will." I said, and he walked toward me, holding the cookie to my lips.

"After you..." he extended the cookie to my lips, and I took a bite.

He smirked and then took a bite from it. I could feel the blood flow in my cheeks, and he made me blush a little. It isn't a soap opera!

"Oh, God. I can't breathe. God. Help! Will- Call someone-"I said, holding my neck.

"What happened-" He paced the length of the room like a madman, diving for his phone when I crackled up in laughter.

He turned grim, his eyes struck with worries. What the hell! 

"I am alright," I said and laughed more.

 To my surprise, Will turned stoic. His face marked with frustration. How is it that every time I manage to step on his nerves?

"I was just messing with you." I said.

"That's not funny! As compensation, I am getting the whole batch of these!"He wavered the paper bag victoriously, and I mouthed a big "NO" when he raised the cookie bag too high for me to reach it. 

"Has no one told you that you act like a kid?"I stuck out my tongue at him.

"That's rich coming from you!"He teased.

His tongue stuck out, and then his lips turned into a pout. Adorable. I could get used to this. Minus him being a total jerk, that is!

"Okay, let me get this on Photogram..."I said, pretending to get a click.

That did the trick.

"No fucking way. Not happening." He twirled like a ballerina; with the cookies in his hand and munched on them as we talked about stupid shit. I could barely stifle a laugh.

Those are the consequences of getting along with Will Turner. 

When you start liking him, you can't hate him. At all. Another thing I have figured about him is, whether you hate him or not, Will Turner gets to decide that. And that's when things fucked up...Will Turner was a mystery not meant to be solved.

Will Turner was a mystery not meant to be solved