73 | LOVE THAT MAKES THE NEWS

Two weeks later.

"I am here to see, Mr. Johnson?" I said, and it came out more like a question. I held tight to the railing between the desk and me.

"Do you have a prior appointment, ma'am?" The lady at the reception asked me. She wore an all-pink uniform, and her blonde hair tied into a bun. Her badge read-'Becky'. Sweet.

"I am afraid, no," I said, and the receptionist gave me that polite-but-are-you-nuts look.

"I will see what I can do and fix a time for you. Please share your contact details, and I will get back to you!" She said, handing me a parchment.

"I will let Mr. Johnson know," She said with a smile, and I knew she won't. That's pretty much what happens at Bexley's too. All the unsolicited visitors' contact lay stashed in the corner. I bet a few male employees have tried fishing out for female visitors. I know it's creepy, so I always grab a handful from the trash contact pile and shove it in the fireplace. Not the best way, I know!

"Could you please tell him that Eva Mellon from Bexley's had dropped by?" I said, handing her the paper with my phone number.

"Sure," she said, and I couldn't help but appreciate the hard work it takes to do her job. Imagine smiling to this awful lot of people you don't even know and being bothered every damn minute with unsolicited contact info. I prayed Mr. Johnson paid her well.

I walked out of Escala. It was a weird name, fitted to something that would be a skyscraper, but Escala was nothing like it. It was a quaint, three-story press house on the corner of Fifth Street, Fordshire. The only privilege Escala had over any other building in Fordshire was that its owner knew everything that was to know about anything and everything that happened in Fordshire. Why it was the office building of Fordshire's hottest newspaper- 'Fordshire Daily'!

My phone beeped.

You have one new message from Will.

I smiled at the notification. I didn't realize where I was going and bumped into someone.

"Oh my God, I am sorry. Are you okay?" I said, and my eyes followed the pink highlights.

Leather jacket, floral pants, purple boots? It had to be him!

"Mr. Johnson! I was here to see you!" I said, looking at him as he smiled.

"Fancy seeing you, Eva! You finally decided to resign from Bexley's, eh?" He said, enjoying his little resignation joke. If, it weren't for his constant pleas about taking the job offer, I would have been offended. But not when it was Mr. Johnson and especially not when I needed to be on his good side.

"I am here to ask for a favor," I said, and he raised an eyebrow.

"I will light cigarettes for you any day, but I have a boyfriend now!" He said, and I let out a chuckle.

"Not that kind of favor! I need your help. I have got the front page headline for Fordshire Daily." I said, and he looked amused.

"You are one surprising woman!" Mr. Johnson said as he walked with me into the elevator.

"You have thirty seconds to impress me!" He said, and I reached for the files I had.

"A bisexual CEO for Fordshire's booming book business!" I said, handing out the pamphlet to him.

"I am in." He said.

"That was quick!" I remarked, and he smirked.

"I like getting things done quickly. That brings me to the why part..." He said, and I looked at him puzzled.

"Why are you doing this?" He said in a clear voice.

"For the same reason as yours," I said, knowing very well what he was digging there.

"And that would be?"

"Love, Mr. Johnson!" I said, and he gave me an assuring nod.

"Consider it done." He said, and I typed in a quick text to Will.

'I am coming home.' I hit send.

"Eva... Is there anything else I can help you with?" Mr.Johnson asked.

"I don't know if it's appropriate, but could you not withdraw your investment from Bexley's? I promise we have more to offer." I said, looking into his blue eyes.

"If the news makes it better, I will think about it. It becomes hard after the stunt the Chair had tried pulling there. Will's the only man I trust, and well, I would love to be of help!" He said, and I shot him a smile that touched my eyes.

"Thank you, Mr. Johnson!" I said, shaking his hand; as we landed on the first floor.

"Well, you aren't staying, are you?" He asked, and I shook my head.

"I will get going then!" I said, hitting the ground floor as Mr. Johnson exited.

Phew! One down. Two more tasks to go! I let out a sigh as the elevator door opened again.

I walked out, breathing in the Fordshire air. It felt good to be back here. It was a long time, and I missed the antics of the big city. The city sounds filled me in as I waved for a cab.

"Bella's Cafe, Third Street, please!" I said, closing the door; as I awaited the hustle-bustle and clanking motor sounds of Fordshire to hit me. I slid my hand out the window, and a snowflake landed on my palm. It was the first snow, and I couldn't wait to be in Will's arms. Finally.

 Finally