1985 ✧ The Sauna Test - [Pt.3 - Final Part]

THE SAUNA TEST
[ ᴘᴀʀᴛ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ ]

Y/n, Robin, Dustin and Steve were on the rooftop where they had found themselves multiple times, trying to see what the 'Evil Russians' were doing.

They were waiting patiently for Erica to let them know when she was ready to go through the vent.

Robin picked up the walkie talkie to contact Erica. "Erica, do you copy?"

"Mm-hmm. I copy." she replied. "You nerds in position or what?"

"Yeah, we're in position." Robin told her. "It's all quiet here, so you've got the green light."

"Green light, roger that. Commence operation Child Endangerment."

"Can we maybe not call it that?" asked Robin.

"See you on the other side." she spoke. "Nerds."

Then it fell silent once again, Y/n just staring down at the entrance, fiddling with her bracelets.

She made them with the party when Y/n got stuck in hospital after their first run in with the upside down. Steve had been out and gotten her one of those make your own bracelet sets and the party ended up making loads for each other.

Steve had one himself that he claimed to hate but always had it on, Y/n insisted on making one for him because she didn't want him feeling left out.

Y/n noticed that Steve still had it on, she grinned at him and he rolled his eyes when he realised she saw he still wore it. "I only wear it because I feel bad." he finally spoke breaking the silence.

"We spent ages making that, I felt bad for you, not the other way around." said Y/n.

"You're just jealous-"

"Jealous of what?" Dustin questioned. "No love life, no friends-"

"This is a family matter." Steve stopped him. "And I have friends!"

"Who? Eddie Munson?" asked Robin, laughing to herself.

"You remember him?" asked Steve. "Dude's been held back like two years, poor guy."

"Oh, he hated you." Robin reminded him.

"Is Eddie Munson that guy with the long curly hair?" asked Y/n, Steve and Robin looked at her confused on how she knew him.

"How do you know Eddie Munson?" questioned Steve.

"I sat and watched him and his band perform once." Y/n replied. "I was on my bike around a year ago and some guy yelled at me and asked if I could listen to their song and give my opinions, it was pretty strange."

"Seriously? Why did you never say-"

Before they could discuss more about Eddie Munson and Steve's sad love life, the familiar voice of Erica Sinclair came through on the walkie talkie.

"Alright, Nerds." she spoke. "I'm there."

"Do you- Do you see anything?" asked Robin.

"Yeah, I see those boring boxes you're so excited about." she responded.

"Any guards."

"Negative."

"Booby traps?"

"If I could see them, they'd be pretty shit traps, wouldn't they?" she sassed.

"Thank you for that." Robin spoke sarcastically.

Then it went silent for a couple of seconds until the girl finally spoke up. "I'm in."

"Oh, God." Steve seemed like he had a massive realisation at what they were doing, he put his head in his hands.

Moments later, the door of the room opened up, Erica Sinclair walked out and then stopped to look up at the group. "Free ice cream for life."

Without speaking the four of them got up to meet Erica down by the 'secret' room.

--

The group of five had made their way into the room and were finally going to find out what was inside those boxes, Steve cut through the tape with a pocket knife and then began to open it up.

Inside was some sort of metal container, which began weirding Y/n out, she thought they'd just find Chinese food and this was just some joke, but it wasn't.

Steve twisted the handle and the container hissed as air was let out of it, he took the lid off and the group peered down into it as cold air blew in their faces, their were four different things in there

"That's definitely not Chinese food." said Steve, as he was about to find out what was in the container he looked at the group. "Uh, maybe you guys should, you know, stand back."

Robin took Y/n and Erica away from the box but Dustin wouldn't budge, he refused.

"Just step back, okay?"

"No."

"Step back. Seriously." said Steve.

"No! No!" he refused. "If you die, I die."

Steve shrugged. "Okay." he then twisted the handle and pulled whatever it was out. "What the hell?"

It was a container with some kind of green liquid inside of it. "What is that?" asked Robin.

Before anybody could respond the room began to shake. "Was that just me, or did the room move?"

"Booby traps." Erica whispered, once again the room shook.

"You know what? Let's just grab that and go." Robin took the container and began to put it into Erica's rucksack.

Dustin went to the control panel and clicked the button. "Which one do I press, Erica?"

"Probably the one that says open door?" Y/n replied sarcastically, making her way to Dustin where she pressed the button herself.

"Dustin! You broke it!" Y/n laughed.

"It's not funny, we can't get out." Dustin said.

"We're not stuck you two just shut up!" Steve groaned, getting in the way and pressing every single button he could, with everyone protesting.

Then the room began to fully shut. "What the f-" before Y/n could finish what she was about to say the room just began to fall and all she could hear was Dustin, Erica and Robin just screaming.

"Oh, shit."

A/n: new cover for the book which I adore, I really miss Lucas and Y/n guys :(