¹⁰' ᶜᵃᵘᵍʰᵗ ʳⁱⁿᵍ⁻ʰᵃⁿᵈᵉᵈ

"Moving away is not half-bad

But it depends on whether you think it is."

»»--⍟--««

𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝟷𝟶

☆ ³ʀᴅ ᴘᴇʀꜱᴏɴ ☆
3️⃣🗣

Leaning against the kitchen counter, Tom focuses intently on the map spread out before him, using a red marker to trace down a pathway with precision. Just as he begins to chart the course, his phone suddenly rings, the caller ID displaying Maddie's name. With a slight pause in his task, he quickly answers the call. 

"Hey." She remarks.

"Hey. " Tom greets her with a warm yet distracted tone. "What 'cha doing? " He questions.

"Just colouring, with Jojo and Rachel." Maddie says, longing out the word colouring.

"Ah... That sounds, half-fun." With a hint of sarcasm lacing his voice, Tom quips boldly into the phone, his words dripping with dry humor. Nonchalantly, he shifts the phone from its precarious position between his ear and shoulder, opting to hold it firmly in his hand as he continues the conversation with Maddie.

"Hey, exciting stuff here. We had a power outage. The whole town went dark. It was like a sign telling me to get out of the dodge." Tom's tone takes on an eerie implication as he speaks, his words carrying an unsettling undertone that leaves a shiver down the spine.

"Wade must've lost his mind." Maddie utters predominantly, standing up abruptly in response to the sudden news, betraying a sense of urgency and concern.

"Yeah. And he does not have much to lose. So how's your sister? Did she convince you to leave me yet?" Tom asks, his voice tinged with annoyance.

"No, but Rachel did tell me to check your phone for dating apps." Maddie informed Tom, while Rachel widened her eyes behind Maddie, emphasizing her intent to clarify.

"The only apps on my phone are the ones that came with it. And the olive garden." Tom pauses to reason, contemplating the implications of Maddie's statement.

"Ah, because when you're there..." Maddie begins, leaving a deliberate pause, inviting Tom to complete her sentence.
"You're family." Tom smiles, picking up on Maddie's cue, and finishes her sentence with a positive note, their exchange ending on a light-hearted and hopeful tone.

Tom hears some rustling from outside, prompting him to swiftly pull back the curtains to investigate. His suspicions are confirmed as he observes his adversary returning, accompanied by the sight of overturned trash cans and scattered rubbish strewn across the ground. Instantly, he pieces together what might have happened in his absence.

"The raccoons are back, and they are in for a surprise." Tom speaks aloud, his voice tinged with determination, as he retrieves a tranquilizer gun from a nearby drawer. The sudden action leaves Maddie distressed on the other end of the phone call, her concern evident in her voice.