Wake Up

2003 - Age 14

You sat quietly at the dinner table, trying to act normal even though your heart was racing. Today, Five was going to confront your father and attempt to get his permission to time-travel. He had requested this before, but never in front of the other kids, and Reginald always said no. Firmly.

Five glanced at you from where he sat to your left, and you gave him a tiny nod. You were nearly 15, and you had promised each other you would get out of here before your 15th birthday.

Bang. Five slammed a knife into the table, making you jump. Klaus raised his eyebrows at you with a small smile, and you waved your finger in circles next to your head, implying that Five was crazy. Klaus snorted and looked at the floor.

"Number Five?" your dad asked without looking up from his plate.

"I have a question."

"Knowledge is an admirable goal, but you know the rules," your father responded, his fork clinking against the china. "No talking during mealtimes. You are interrupting Herr Carlson."

Five stood up, pushing his plate back.

"I want to time travel."

"No." His response was so fast, you had to cover your laugh. Klaus met your eyes with a grin, making it even harder to resist the urge, and you felt a sudden pang of guilt that you would be leaving them behind.

You noticed Vanya shaking her head at Five, but he pressed on anyway, his hand inching along the table and brushing against yours.

"But I'm ready. I've been practicing my spatial jumps, just like you said." He disappeared momentarily, reappearing next to Reginald. "See?"

"A spatial jump is trivial when compared with the unknowns of time travel. One is like sliding along the ice, the other is akin to descending blindly into the depths of the freezing water and reappearing as an acorn."

"Well, I don't get it," Five said, voice thinly veiling his frustration.

"Hence the reason you're not ready."

"I'm not afraid."

"Fear is not the issue," your father said, finally looking up as his tone turned strict. "The effects it might have on your body, even on your mind, are far too unpredictable. Now, I forbid you to talk about this anymore." He returned to his food as though nothing had happened.

However, when Five turned and motioned for you to follow him, his head snapped up.

"Number Five! Number Eight! You haven't been excused!" he shouted as you and Five ran for the door. "Come back here!"

"We're leaving right now?" you asked, heart racing.

"It's our only option. Now that he knows what we're doing, Dad won't keep his eyes off of us for more than a few seconds. Sorry I messed it up, but we have to go now."

You hesitated, glancing back at the front door and remembering Klaus, Vanya, Ben - what if they needed you?

"Are you coming?" Five asked, his hair blowing over his eyes in the breeze.

After a pause, you nodded.

"Let's find my parents."

He grinned, reaching out to take your hand before you both jogged forward. A blue void appeared moments later, and Five leaped through it first, keeping a tight grip on your hand. You smiled, taking one final breath before you jumped forward, and-

"I heard a rumor..."

*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:

When you woke up in your bed, all of your siblings were gathered around you.