Grow Old Together

You let go of the margarita glass that you had been gripping tightly, his hands finding yours under the bar table and holding them tightly. When he pulled away, the warmth his kiss had brought disappeared.

His eyes met yours again, and your mouth opened slightly, but no words came out. You searched his gaze, and you were sure, in that moment, that he was really going to kiss you.

You were interrupted by a knock on the door.

The two of you stood quickly, straightening up and avoiding each other's eyes.

"It might be Vanya," you said as you walked toward the door, growing excited and picking up the pace. "I hope-"

"Nope," Five said, stopping you from turning to handle. "It could be anyone, Eight. Get behind me."

You frowned at him, but he refused to let go of your wrist until you stepped behind him. You sighed, waiting impatiently as he slowly turned the handle and opened the door.

"Hey, old-timer," a familiar voice said, and you froze. You cautiously peered over Five's shoulder, and when your fear was confirmed, you stumbled backward, bumping into a table. Your hand fumbled around, finally gripping something - the end of an umbrella. Better that than no weapon at all.

Five turned around to face you, concerned.

"That's Hazel," you hissed, hoping the man wouldn't hear you. "He tortured Klaus and I. Oh, I'm gonna kill him." Hatred flared through your veins, but you knew it was mostly present to cover up your fear. You started to walk forward, but Five placed a hand on your shoulder to stop you, his other hand preoccupied with the margarita.

"Eight," he said softly, calmly. How could he be calm when the enemy was quite literally on your doorstep, with a gun? "Eight, I think that's the alcohol talking."

You froze, scowling.

"What alcohol? There was none. I didn't have any," you argued, gripping the umbrella handle tighter.

"The margarita?" he asked, smiling a bit. "The whole glass of alcohol that you just drank?"

You swallowed hard, confused. You hadn't realized that you had drank the whole thing.

"Eight, I know that this guy did horrible stuff to you. And trust me, I'm never going to forgive him. But let's at least hear him out - and then you can do whatever you want." Five glanced down at your legs as you noted that he was being more generous than usual. "Your knees are shaking," he noted, and you felt your face flame in embarrassment.

"It's the alcohol," you muttered, blinking hard in an attempt to stop the world from spinning. Wait - when did that happen?

"Wow," Five said softly, setting his drink down on the table and steadying you. "You're a cheap drunk."

"I'm not cheap," you muttered, pushing him back a little bit, and he shook his head.

"It means you get drunk easily, love."

"You probably put too much tequila in," you said, leaning on the table as Five grinned.

He called me love. Why is it so hard to focus right now? 

"I'm going to talk to Hazel now, all right? I promise I won't let anything happen to you," he said, brushing his thumb across your cheek lightly before turning around.

"Do you have my sister?" he asked, and you remembered Vanya.

I hope she's okay - maybe she'll come drink with us. Hey, I should've invited Klaus. He would love this!