You're a Liability

"Eight, I..." Five sighed, taking his hand off the wheel for a moment to rub his jaw. "I get that Klaus can be uncomfortably weird, all right? But that was him saying all that shit, not me-"

"That's not what I care about," you said with a humorless laugh. "You know, for being 44, you really don't seem to be that smart."

He licked his lips, brow furrowing.

"Then what's wrong?"

"Where are we going?" you asked, ignoring his question.

"Uh, no - where am I going. You're done following me around," he said, gripping the steering wheel tighter.

"All right..." you said, and Five raised his eyebrows. 

"Wow. I didn't think you would actually agree," he said, frowning slightly.

"Oh, sure. I'll stop following you around - after today," you added, glaring at the scenery outside your window. "I want to meet this 'Delores'."

And you honestly did - you wanted to meet her, hear her voice, figure out what made Five like her so much.

"Eight, no. She's... a little... different. Also, I'm just going to the mall."

"Oh, goody," you said dryly. "I love malls."

He sighed, pressing on the gas.

When you arrived, the sky was dark, the moon shining like a giant, glowing lantern in the sky. You followed him to the doors.

"So, how are we getting in, genius?"

He smiled, flashing from the parking lot to the dark interior of the mall.

"Right," you mumbled. "Almost forgot you could do that."

You leaned against the double doors, impatiently waiting for him to emerge. You sat on the ground, yawning and closing your eyes to rest briefly. What couldn't have even been five minutes later, you heard gunshots from inside.

"Five?" you asked, slowly standing. "Five!" You shouted, pounding on the door and desperately trying to look inside. "Damn it, why can't I have stupid fucking powers?" You slammed your shoulder against the door, ignoring the shouts and gunfire from inside. "Five, please let me in!"

You hissed through your teeth, your shoulder throbbing. You were thrown backwards barely a moment later, falling on your butt in a parking lot for the second time in the past 24 hours.

You almost laughed as two people with cartoon face-masks charged past you, until you realized they had guns.

"Five," you breathed, struggling to your feet and lunging after them. "Get back here, shitheads!"

The one with the pink mask turned around, gum aimed at you, but you managed to find a stick lying on the concrete and smacked them in the stomach with it. It broke in half, but seemed to surprise them for a moment, allowing you to advance on them. You hefted the remaining half of the stick in your hands, preparing to hit them again, but then you heard a feminine voice - it was definitely a girl - hissing something to the other.

"Kill her, goddamn it!"

Her partner took the stick from your hands easily, bashing it against your head. You groaned, staggering backward, as they did it again. This time you fell, the hard concrete cracking against your skull.

"Shoot her, Hazel!"

You rolled away at the last second, screaming as an incredibly loud bang echoed in your ear. You felt the bullet graze your arm like a knife made of fire, before it ricocheted off of the ground and bounced away, sounding deceptively harmless.