Won't Happen Again

When you opened your eyes, Klaus was scooting his chair over to the table in front of the door, tape over his mouth once again.

"Klaus?" you mumbled weakly. "What are you..." you trailed off when he shook his head vehemently at you, breathing heavily, and promptly began banging his head on the table when he saw a shadow pass the window. "Stop!" you whispered when he began grunting in pain. "Stop, it Klaus. You're going to hurt yourself!"

He whimpered and finally stopped, leaning his head against the table as you breathed a sigh of relief. You sucked in a shocked breath when the door opened, revealing a pretty young woman... with a gun.

"Are you Diego's brother?" she asked, and you jerked in your chair.

"Yes, yes, he is... oh, thank God. We're his siblings, please... please let us out of these chairs," you pleaded. "But... be quiet. There's two people in the bathroom. They'll kill you if they find you."

She nodded, slicing through Klaus' bonds and then yours with a knife.

"I'm Detective Patch. I... didn't know he had a younger sister." Her brows drew together in pity when she noticed your bloodied face, but you quickly stood up. 

"You'd better run," you whispered. "They're smart. They're seriously going to kill you."

The bathroom door creaked open, and she pushed you behind her.

"Run. Now," she hissed, before speaking up when Hazel poked his head out the door. She shot the gun twice, missing both times. "Police! Drop the gun or you're going down!"

"I'm coming out. Don't shoot."

"Hands behind your head, asshole," she said.

"Ok, just don't shoot," Hazel responded, surprisingly calm as he got down on his knees. Too calm.

You hesitated, caught between following Klaus through the vent he had crawled through and helping the woman.

Suddenly, you spotted a flash of movement from outside, shoving Patch out of the way before the bullet shot by Cha-Cha could hit her.

"Run!" she shouted at you, scrambling to her feet, and you complied, following Klaus.

You crawled through the tiny metal compartment, wincing every time your head hit the top. Your breath came in shallow bursts, the walls feeling like they were closing in on you slowly. After a few gunshots, there was silence, and you knew who had won.

All you could do was hope they didn't find you before you were far away from the hotel, with Klaus.

When you emerged from the vent, it was outside in the parking lot. You collapsed to the ground in a pathetic heap, and Klaus pulled you to your feet.

"Come on, we have to go," he said urgently, pulling you towards a bus.

"What about the detective?" you asked, glancing behind you.

"Doesn't matter. We have to get out of here!"

"So, what? You don't even care?" you asked as you boarded. "She just saved our asses, Klaus." He sat down, breathing a sigh of relief and leaning into the seat.

"Of course I care. I'm indebted to her forever. But there's nothing we can do for her now, except avenge her, because let's face it, she probably dead." He pulled you down beside him as the bus started. "And I stole their handy-dandy briefcase."

You sighed, biting your lip and trying to ignore the sick feeling in your stomach.

"Okay, good job, I guess. What's in it?" you finally asked.